Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
anyone run a dana 300 to th400

Thread: anyone run a dana 300 to th400

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar

anyone run a dana 300 to th400

i am looking into the swap and making my own adaptors anyone have this setup and adaptor??
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Ive seen Two and like neither of them. however Both were on unlifted Jeeps, Built for mud. Neither Had enought Room To run a driveshaft by the Transmission pan. They Either had to Clock the 300, or Jack the Jeep up and put monster bumpstops on em. Given the Choice, unless youre using a monster engine- i think that a TH350 would do fine. But then again, I dont know how they clear. One guy said, that he would have kept the Chevy transfer had he known what a mess he had gotten into. The Guy that I talked to, Could not run a Front Driveshaft, Thats how tight it was, But granted, That was on an unlifted Jeep. Running SOA or a 4 inch lift probably would get you one of the best combonations you could Imagine.

Thought My nod goes to the Th350 Shorter, Plenty stout. Ever thought about the 700R4? Rugged Slushbox with a deeper low and OD. But then again, It probably wouldnt hold up to a Healthy big block.

Jesse

oo the adaptors were clocked bad???
    [COLOR=#000000]

Not so much that they were clocked badly, as it seemed that the application and setup in the particualr Jeeps I saw were less than optimal, Although, It seems like the owners were looking at few options. Clock the transfer for more driveshaft cleareance and loose clearance under the jeep, or leave it and let the driveshaft clearacne the pan on its own.

Then again, you have to understand that one Jeep seemd to be pretty much a show rig, as the owner hadnt rectified the problem with his jeep, and the other was just something I happened to run across and didnt like.
    There were a few options that were good that got the shaft out of the pan, 1: more lift, 2: Find another front axle with more offset to the differential, 3: use a two piece front driveshaft. Other than messing with the clocking.

Ive also seen this problem exhibted with TF 727s and Dana 300s.

The 300 is jsut too short to get the frond driveshaft around the case and or pans with flat driveshaft angles when clocked for maximum ground clearance.

Jesse

ooo ok ive only seen that problem on the tf727 to dana 300 swap but not on a th400 to dana 300 i wonder what kind of adaptor was used for that problem, i think a bout 4 guys make those adaptors!!!
    [COLOR=#000000]

are you thinking about building adapters for yourself or for a the Bulltear line? Dana 20s got hooked to Th400s with no problems form the factory, and Ive not hgeard any thing bad about them other than the less than optimal 2.0 to 1 low. and that can be upgraded. I would search out someone running the set up, pick thier brain and look at thier rig.

Jesse

Yeah in my 77' i run a 76th400 (built) to a 67 dana 20 with factory adaptor, i like the setup although low is 2 to 1 i have bronco gears in it 2.43to1 i think, i know its a little less than a dana 300, but i love the setup , i run cv driveshafts in it and the yokes are out of a quad, 10 spline cv yokes, very sweet and cheap setup, in fact my drive shafts are front driveshafts from FSJ's with quads, so the whole jeep uses all jeep parts.......well except for the rear its a dana 44 from a scout :( ..LOL even the front sway bar is out of a 1983 j10 the front axle 78 cherokee the 401 76 wagoneer ........ooohhh yeah the starter is from a javelin...LOL
    [COLOR=#000000]

3.15 low gearsets are available, though i dont know who makes em. The Thought of taking a bad Dana 20 case, and hacking it up to use jsut the reduction unit would be kinda neat, I get a bang out of dual cases.

Jesse