Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
types of lockers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: types of lockers

WestVirginia

types of lockers

Thats it, Im finished with spinning one tire in the front, and one tire in the back. Wide tires dont do well in snow. Tired of wrestling chains too. Ive been reading alot about lockers over the years. There must be dozens of types out there for jeeps. Lock right soft lock ox lock and the list goes on and on. I know I dont want any type of air,vacume,or electric accuated lockers. Thats just more stuff to maintain. What do you guys use? Whats a good kind thats not overpriced?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    if i had only 300 bucks i would spend it on a lockright but never in the rear if you are driving on pavement, hey guys throw in some suggestions...what hp are you going to run???
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Depending on your tire size, and the amount of power your throwing at them, the Quic-Loc type ( the ones that go in the carrier and jsut replace the spider gears) Might be a decent choice, and shouldnt be too difficult to install.

But then if you have a welder or have a friend who has one, just pull the diff cover, and put the welding rod to it. Ala Lincoln-locker

Jesse
    Funny noise? Turn the radio up.

WestVirginia
    Running a stock 304 (.010 over pistons) with narrow high profile tires for the winter (Co-ops, gumbo mudders, something like that) and good highway/interstate radials in the summer. Im not lookin to do any serious mud boggin, hill climbing, rock crawling or drag racing. Lincon lockers are not an option. Theres not a straight road in the county. I would prefer some type of mechanically operated locker like farm tractors have. Step on a pedal, or pull on a lever and the differentials lock up. Let go of the pedal or lever, and they unlock. Ive heard of inexpensive cable acutated lockers, but have yet to find out what they are called.

Ox locker is the Cable actuated unit, There are a few electrically operated ones -The Detroit Electrac Comes to mind, and then you have the air operated ones like ARBs. I have no idea how any of them work. But me personnaly I am interested in The Ox locker, as its actuation system seems to be the most simple and would be the most difficult to tear off. However, with the ARB lockers its a handy opportunity to get Onboard air too- as they require an air compressor.
    Im not sure how many differentials that the OX locker is available for or any of them for that matter.
    I beleive they all have products for D44s D30s and D35s. Im not sure about the AMC 20.

Jesse

Man snow tires your not kidding, once i had welded diff rear and lock right front and 31 15:50 tires that this would slide dowwwn the road, barely gripping at all, it was like running on slick ice!!!! now i run a set of 39-18 15r mickey's you would think ive learned, but hey i can get out fo the ditch easy.........LOL
    [COLOR=#000000]

So some sort of Limited slip would be what youre looking for? Limited slip fron, and limited slip rear might work out well for what you want to be doing.

Jesse

WestVirginia
    Have a limited slip in the rear. Even went as far as to replace all those clutch plates. It worked for awhile, but they wear out pretty quick. I guess they may last a long time in flatland where the roads are straight, but around here, they dont stand a chance of long term use.

yeah west, those limited slips are just that........limited!! IF you are running a trail only rig then maybe a lincoln locker isnt a bad idea. I have a friend who runs welded front and rear, you should have seen him bouncing down the trails last year, on a hill he was barely missing trees!! That welded front really inhibits steering, i had it on a manual steering and almost broke my hands jumping into a swamp...................i i meant trading lightly..........LOL
    [COLOR=#000000]

Tell him to unlock one of the front Hubs next time man! How good is his roll bar/cage???

Jesse