Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AMC 20 Full floater

Thread: AMC 20 Full floater

AMC 20 Full floater

Ok, So I know That the AMC 20 has a biger ring grar and pinion that the Dana 44, But all of the ones in the SWB Jeeps had two piece axles. Its most likely that If/ when i get a Jeep its going to have an AMC 20. So i have a few questions

What spindles do the Full floated AMC 20s use? or are they all their own?

Also, How rugged are they, and How do you like em If youve got em?

The first FF Rear I ever took apart was a GM 14 bolt, and I now see why they are popular. Short of two minutes I had the axle shaft in my hand saying Cool! -So, all that Im familair with as far as Full floater axles are bigger than Dana 60s. Compared to that GM 14 bolt and the Dana 80 in my buddys Ford, everything looks wimpy now.

Jesse
    Funny noise? Turn the radio up.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

AMC 20 Floater

Jesse,
    Dump the 2-piece things and install the machined 1-piece setup. Yeah, it's about $300 but you get a SOLID 1-piece axle to the hub, new bearings, seals, and the shims to make it fit right. I'm not much of an axle builder, but it only took me an afternoon. I went a step further and piled on a set of stainless steel disc brakes at the same time :D

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Hell, I dont Even HAVE and AMC 20 (although, Its likely that I will at one point or another) and IM looking at options. I know the two piece axle sucks, but I havent seen one puke yet. Although, I kinda see one blowing to bits this summer. AMC 360+sickT176+Two piece AMC 20+ Lead foot equals destruction of something.

Jesse

AMC 20

I haven't "seen" one blow, but when I took my old one apart, the splines were twisted. Kinda tells me it was "abused" in it's earlier life - hence the call to go the "Superior Axle" 1-piece kit. I figured if I had to replace it, why not go stronger!! :P
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Oh yes. I see that. and the prices are coming down too! Thats good.

Jesse

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    the 2 pc axels take more then you think i never lost an axel just the carrior split it in half had 360 t-150 3 sd 4.56 gears

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

My other buddy's Jeep (350 T150 Narrow track AMC 20 two piece with 3.54s) hasnt blown ue up yet, and hes tortured that thing. Granted the biggest hes run was 30s, but hes gone as hard as he could for as long as he could with what he had and has some good storys, for it. But The ful floater is what he's going after.

Jesse

AMC 20

Actually that's good news for me - that he hasn't blown it up. I have a semi-built 4.2+L, 5-spd, Dana 300 and the AMC20 out back with Superior 1-piece axles, but I've got a set of 33's coming. And, if the 20 can keep the 350 moving then it should handle my I-6
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    the stosk 2 piece axles will hold up to alot more abuse than most people give them credit for. However when you start putting tires larger than 30in and much more HP than a mild 304 the fun usually begins. spinning a hub on a 2 piece is a pain most times you dont know it untill tou try to take off in 2wd. get the one piece axles they will save you alot of hassle in the long run.
    ...and the peasants danced