Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Any body welded up spider gears before?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any body welded up spider gears before?

Any body welded up spider gears before?

Ive never done it, Heard that using 7018 or NiRod is the way to go.

any input?

Jesse
    Funny noise? Turn the radio up.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    i wouldnt use rod, anytime i do it i use mig wire, less spatter, but if your insistant then a 7018 will work great even a 7013 because it will flex a little, make sure its what you want first though and bead it up good to the differential (spider to diff).......good luck jess
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I dont have acess to MIG Guns For use on automobiles. School Expressly Forbids welding on automobiles in the shop. So, I expect to be using stick at my friends house.

Im a little leary of the Mig process, THe last time I used it I filled my work full of porosity, because I ran out of Shielding gas. For me, there is less to screw up with stick, Thats not to say that I dont like the process, I do. Im just not comfortable with it right now.

Jesse

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Do you have to weld the spiders to the carrier? Can't you just weld the spiders to eash other and spare the carrier?

Ive heard both or either.

Personally, i wouel prefer to just weld the spidergears to eachother so its not totally destroyed, but I could go nuts and weld the hell out of it as I Do have a few extra eagle rears lying around, Near as I can tell, I have 2.73 or 2.35 in all of them, so I dont really thing that Getting a hold of another carrier will be too hard, considering that people usually pithc the 2.73s as fast and as hard as they can.

Jesse

weld the gears to each other and to the carrier, all 4. Thats the noly way i know of to get posi with a welder
    [COLOR=#000000]

Yeah, thats the way i see it going, any other way it seems to lead to inevitable destruction.

Jesse

On a 14 bolt FF or a rockwell, you can get by with welding the spyder gears to the axle gears only, but on the little stuff, you need to weld the side gears to the carrier. If doing it in the car, you will hardly get a good weld because you can not get the parts clean and oil free. For best results, remove the carrier, remove the ring gear, carrier bearings, clean thuroughly with solvent, then flush with carb cleaner or de-natured alcohol. Do not use Brake parts cleaners, as they normally contain chemicals that leave a residue which is corrosive when heated. After air drying, preheat carrier throughout to about 400 degrees, weld the axle gears to the carrier with "Super Missle Weld" rod made by Welco with the least amperage possible to minimize inevitable warpage. If you want, 7018 will work. Weld in short beads ballanced across from each other. Maintain preheat temp. When fully welded, post heat at 400 degrees till temp stabilizes throughout, then allow to cool slowly (overnite), as in a box or can full of floor dry or cat litter. After cool, have face of carrier where ring gear bolts up trued up on a lathe, clean slag and spatter out, then reassemble rear axle. Backlash will need to be adjusted.
    Standard MIG wire is for mild steel, not properly compatable with the steel used for the gears or the carrier, although many a rear has been welded with MIG. If you must weld in the car, be sure to ground directly to the carrier itself, so the current doesn't pass through the bearings.
    For more discussion of this topis you can see Welding Teck at
    www.florida4x4.com/phpBB/

What is the number on the Super missile welding rod? most rods have a number of some sort- Is it a carbon steel rod stainless or a nickel/iron rod?
    Thanks

Jesse

are you seriously going ro weld a rear with a arc welder? I cant imagine tracing all that slag and getting it all out of the pumpkim, but then again i have never welded a rear with a stick
    [COLOR=#000000]