Thread: anyone seen any good deals on winches?

anyone seen any good deals on winches?

What's better? Electric or hydraulic?
    SPREAD IT ON!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Electric or hydraulic?

Look at the pros and cons.... the electric can still run if the ngine dies in a bad spot, the hydraulic needs the engine and a pump, which is more stuff to worry about - some even have a PTO driven pump. On the other side a hydraulic is quiter and usually more powerful. I haven't looked at the price difference and the new Warn with a thermostat indicator is only as good as the sensor and only tells you when it's hot, from what I've read it's not a thermal breaker.

Just my 2 bits
    Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Winches

PTO hydraulic winches have more real world power and can be used continuously, such as commercial applications. Accessory driven pump units such as the mile marker are limited by the pump- its ability to maintain high pressure for the duration. OEM pumps lack the fluid volume or cooling capacity for sustained use, nor is the pump durable enough. Use of an aftermarket higher capacity pump, with large volume resivoir, and external cooler will increase usability. Hydraulic systems are heavier, bulkier, generate more heat, require engine running. Electric winches are limited by the duty cycle of the motor, and the usable capacity of the battery/ charging system. In the real world, most people do not have enough battery capacity to use the winch with out the engine running to power the alternator, however, batteries can be swapped or jumper cables can be used in extreme cases. Major hassle. Heat is always a problem for the motor, and the lower the voltage at the motor, the more amps required and therefore more heat is produced. Large &/or multiple batteries and large gauge cables increase size ooverall system, as well as weight.
    Type of vehicle, space available, use of winch, personal preference, and budget must be considered.

Thanx a ton guys. I never thought I would get so much info. Much appreciated. TRACTOR
    SPREAD IT ON!