Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1 Ton axle questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Ton axle questions

1 Ton axle questions

OK,

I have some question regarding my newly aquired D60,D70 combo they are 4.56 ratio both open carriers.

These are out of a Dodge 350 dually. I did some measuring last night from my Narrow track CJ-7.

Curently front spring perch is about 28 inches (it was dark so I might be a little off) I don't know the WMS on it but from the back of the disk brakes it is about 44 inches. The D60 looks like I will need to cut about 4 inches off the long side to get it somewhere close to this. Does this sounds about right? This looks like it will get me to about post 81 WT specs. I would like to keep the stance of this jeep as close to stock as I can get. Last thing I need is a ticket for the wheels sticking out too far. The Rear D70 is about 67" WMS-WMS. From measuring my CJ the pearches are about 37" on the D70 they are about 43". After moving the perches it looks like I will need to cut quite a bit off the rear to narrow them (about 10 inches total) Does this sound about right? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-RJ
    1978 Jeep CJ-7 on Won-Tons :D Nv4500/4:1 SOA on ALCANS and mtr's

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The front yes you will need to shave 4"s, the rear is 36"s from center to center, I will be doing a writeup on shortening your rear axle and it just so happens it will be on a d70 so check back often. Even a better route is to use a d70 duelly housing and run your gears in that, some are 63"s wide, I have a d70 with 23 spline axles and a small ujoint yoke but it has 4:56's and a early locker. This is the axle I will be doing the writeup on. You can always outboard your springs, i have a kit coming out but it takes welding. You know i suggest it no matter if its home made, that way you can just cut the axle tubes and install the inner knuckle closer to the pumpkin on both sides, the wider stance of the springs really makes a ride difference
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I was looking at the pics of that locker you had I thought it was just the older D70 two piece carrier.

Hard to tell. Will I need to get cutom shafts for the rear D70 or can I cut and re-spline them. From the looks they are the same od (about 1.5") all the way so I was thinking I can do this to cut the costs down. Mine is 35 Spline so I don't know much about the 23 spine ones. My D70 is a dually BTW. But my WMS looks to be about 67".

From my understanding CJ NT is about 50 WMS-WMS and the CJ WT is about 55 WMS-WMS, does this sound about right. As said it looks like I can do about 57" WMS with the 60, just not sure how involved the D70 will be in the rear. So I need to take about 10 inches off total to get it about the same as the front. I drive this as a DD during the summer so I can can't hace my wheels hangin' the fawk out there. I know you can do this yourself but I can't, what is a ball park figure to have this done? Are you going to convert your D70 to Disk brake? This is also in the plans. I was thinking of using a 78 Cadillac Eldorado as this will alow me to use E-brake calipers and you can get reman one for about 50 bucks. (Got this from POR) I have 4.56 in it but just picked up a carrier for 4.10 and lower on ebay for 20 bucks, I may go 3.73 ( Flame away) but with the 401 I think I can get away with it and I will be able to maintain decent RPM's with 3.73, wish I had a 5th gear!!!

-RJ

The axle i am shortening is a rear, but i can provide pics of a front soon. And hey man its your ratio...LOL but i will trade you other parts for your 4:56's, i got those carriers laying around and i could have sold youone cheaper......dang guys! But never the less, i will be back with pics
    [COLOR=#000000]

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    The axle i am shortening is a rear, but i can provide pics of a front soon. And hey man its your ratio...LOL but i will trade you other parts for your 4:56's, i got those carriers laying around and i could have sold youone cheaper......dang guys! But never the less, i will be back with pics

Yeah I gues so LOL. He this just popped up on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33731

What kind of locker does that look like?

Bummer about the carrier oh well. But if this is for 4.10 it is good for 3.73 as well. So I could use it. So what are your thoughts on the axles can you just cut them down and respline them if they are the same OD all the way?

-RJ

if I were to cut them down and respline them they would need heat treating due to the splining eating through the case hardening, but i will do it or outsource the project. Kinda busy right now.......But i could tell you how much it is if you really want to go for this......i mean after i had them, or you could send the axles to moser...but im thinking around $110 an axle plus shipping
    [COLOR=#000000]

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    if I were to cut them down and respline them they would need heat treating due to the splining eating through the case hardening, but i will do it or outsource the project. Kinda busy right now.......But i could tell you how much it is if you really want to go for this......i mean after i had them, or you could send the axles to moser...but im thinking around $110 an axle plus shipping

Damm, seems alot but I have never looked into it so it may be the case. Did you look at that locker on e-bay that I linked. Kinda funny looking isn't it? I thought maybe it was some sort of posi. As long as the locker is 35 splines (and made for the D70) it should work in my Dana 70 correct, there isn't any strange ones I need to worry about are there?

That tubing on the the D70 is thinck as a mo-fo too :P

-RJ

yea those tubes are around mo-fo thickness yeah looked at the locker, looks to be an old powerlock not a detroit but let me do some checking because they looked alot alike here is a pic of my axle with a fac clutchless powerlock, although i have been wrong in the past, dont tell my old lady though.....LOL
    [COLOR=#000000]

would love to have your 4:56's if you dont use them!
    [COLOR=#000000]

Any way I can cross refrence those part numbers to check for sure WTF that i s on Ebay, he did give part numebrs I think.

4.56's for the For the 70 or the 60 you got ones for the 70 already, yes ?

-RJ