Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AMC V8 pistons - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMC V8 pistons

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger
    The quench height is the distance between the piston top and the cylinder head when the piston is at TDC...
    Roger all, different than cooling hot metal or suppressing electronic noise

I - R - ed-u-ma-cated a bit better :lol:

Thanks
    Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

="While we are on the topic of pistons......
    The stock piston is Dished - Have no clue what the cc is, but it has almost NO Quench. I have read about getting quench from pistons, deck height, head gaskets etc.... but for purpouses f this matter, allow me to play dumb and ask, Where can I find AMC specific pistons, adapted with quench, and what range of quench would be safe. Taking into account the shifting or rocking of the piston, is 0.020 enough - EXTREMELY high quench, or would 0.040 - essentially Zero Deck Clearance, and a Proform Head Gasket, Be enough quench?

I have heard that to push a quench of 0.037 to 0.030 on non-alumnium heads will outperform Alumnium heads? What validitiy/reliability can you credit to this, and from your experience?

What are the extremes?

Mike M

.020 is too close. Effective quienh is right abou .035-.045. Stock Amc pistons don't lend themselves to quench which is why I am going with custom pistons. From talking with Venolia they will look something like the 4.0 pistons with the "D" in them. Then dish down so I can still get a resonable compression ratio.

-RJ
    1978 Jeep CJ-7 on Won-Tons :D Nv4500/4:1 SOA on ALCANS and mtr's

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

Piston orientation...

The AMC pistons have notches on the crown, just outside of the valve relief, visible from the head side, even after installation. Notch to the front of the engine. I can post a pic, but don't have one scanned in at the moment...Dave

PS: another cool thing about the AMC geometry is that if piston hits valve, you bend pushrods, not valves and split guides. I found this out when my timing chain jumped, then jumped back so I could get home!
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Interesting - I tried to fix the link and it won't come in??? Cut and past works, but not IMG??

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE