Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Engine popping into exhaust
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine popping into exhaust

Engine popping into exhaust

Hey guys, when I drove the cherokee, I just remembered that it backfires in the exhaust quite a bit, power was really lacking, and I am thinking the timing is off and the carb is WAY ot of adjustment from all the unburned exhaust smell coming into the cab area. So what is the proper timing for a 77 360?

Oh and it starts like a champ, two taps of the pedal after sitting a week and it fires up. Oil pressure is good (by the factory gauge) and idles fine a bit high but its smooth.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    I want to say the timing should be 8 or 10 btdc on the 360's. Are you sure there are no vaccum leaks or intake leaks?
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    you need to get that engine timed it is essential and you can really damage your motor
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    78 360
    auto =6 to 10
    manual = 3 to 7

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Yeah I know that is on of the reasons I am not driving it right now. Thanks guys I will most likely work on that this weekend.

i have a problem similar to this but mine pops through the carb,
    i recently changed the timing chain and since the it pops through the carb when going to full throttle from an idle and it has a bit of a miss.
    the timing marks are correct. it has a new carb but didnt pop before the timing chain went.
    the lifters wont pump up either so i didnt know if that would cause it so could someone please help me, steve
    JEEP the toughest 4 letter word on wheels

pop

Quote Originally Posted by tacoman
    i have a problem similar to this but mine pops through the carb,
    i recently changed the timing chain and since the it pops through the carb when going to full throttle from an idle and it has a bit of a miss.
    the timing marks are correct. it has a new carb but didnt pop before the timing chain went.
    the lifters wont pump up either so i didnt know if that would cause it so could someone please help me, steve
    Double check the firing order and that the wires arent crossed, was rotor lined up with #1 cylinder @TDC when you replaced the timing chain?

man i have checked everything and i did everything the way it should have been done timing wise.
    everything is where it is supposed to be, ive done everything but check for compression. ive pulled plug wires off while it runs ect. but i never checked for a vaccuum leak and im going to put a new cap on it.
    the lifters like i said will not pump up so when i get it running, correct or not im going to go through the new camshaft break in procedure to see if the pump up and well see if not it is off to the junkyard to get me some heads
    JEEP the toughest 4 letter word on wheels

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    if you re-checked everything, check the compression, it is possible you have a bent push rod or bent valve, and not allowing it to open all the way, also causing the lifter noise.

-paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source