Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Drivetrain Swap Questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drivetrain Swap Questions

Drivetrain Swap Questions

Swapping in a 360, T18a, D20 from a 77 Cherokee into a 76 Cherokee that has a 401, TH400, QT. I know I will need the clutch pedal, and linkage etc from the 77. But I think the rest is a direct bolt in or am I missing anything?

Secondly the 401 is going to be rebuilt and put back in the 76 mated to the T18a, what will I need to do to the 401 to make it ok with the manual trans? I know I will not need the flex plate but also the 401 is externally balanced right? How do I go about making that work?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    I don't think you are missing anything externally the motors are identicle. Maybe the floor plate for the shifter to go through and make sure the cross members are not different.

When you are ready to put the 401 back in you are going to need a flywheel and pilot bushing and you should be all set
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    you may also need some aspirin and a 6 pack of beer and possibly a cigar for the victory dance
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Oh I have plenty of asprin, and there will be some heavy whiskey drinking (don't care for beer) after the beast roars to life as well as cigars.

Them fellas over on IFSJA say I need the D20 driveshafts also, are the QT ones that different from the D20's? I will have them so its not really an issue just curious.

the front yoke is different, but you may be able to switch yokes if they were 10 spline and your 20 is 10 spline! you got options brother!
    [COLOR=#000000]

What about the front axle? Will the 76 with a QT have the lock out hubs or do I need to swap D44's also?

Eventually I want to upgrade the D20 outputs to the larger ones that the br**co guys are running.

the front will have full time but you can just take the guts from the other hubs and make it part time
    [COLOR=#000000]

MC never messed with anything like that before I may need a walk through, and then do it and take lots of pics for the tech section.

The guys at ISFJA have me all confused now so I have the following to ask:

1) What is the difference in offset on the rear D44 axle with a D20 to a QT rig?

2) Flexplate/Flywheel Same thing or different?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger
    MC never messed with anything like that before I may need a walk through, and then do it and take lots of pics for the tech section.

The guys at ISFJA have me all confused now so I have the following to ask:

1) What is the difference in offset on the rear D44 axle with a D20 to a QT rig?

2) Flexplate/Flywheel Same thing or different?
    D44 with a D20 is center diff driveshaft comes out of top center of transfercase
    D44 with a QT is offset. I believe the drive shaft comes off the Right side of the transfer case

Flexplate is for an automatic transmission and usauall pretty thin. Attaches the motor to the torque converter with bolts

Flywheel is thicker and heavier attaches to engine with bolts and to transmission throught the input shaft and clutch.
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source