Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fixing your timing cover - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing your timing cover

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

Timing cover/oil pump set

Here's a thought:

Wet pressure testing of each set?? A dynoed oil pump, as it were...Dave
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Man Dave you would be suprised how much volume is lost per .001 oversize of the cavity walls. We used to build gear pumps that held a .0002" all day long at 350 degrees
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    MC,

What do you charge to "rebuild" a customer's used timing cover/adaptor? Clean, nickle plate, hand fit gears, stainless plate, etc?

Thanks!

I used to do it for $320 but I dont make any dough on it and its eats up my time. I can offer a New nickel coated cover with gears for $345 (used to be $320 before the price of materials went up)
    [COLOR=#000000]

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Does that include the adaptor as well?

Sadly it doesnt
    [COLOR=#000000]

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Here are some covers which have been cleaned and bead blasted to give the nickle the best possible surface condition, notice the one in the middle, it still has the harmonic balance seal, that is my personal one, i got big plans for it so i left the seal in, normally i dont
    I finally got the oil pump primer tool, thanx, yep thats who I am.
    When glass bead blasting the covers, are you lightly hitting the mateing
    surface where the oil pump adaptor and the timing cover touch?
    Is there anyplace on the covers or the oil pump adaptors that should not be glass bead blasted?
    Brad

Avoid the mating surface there...that can be cleaned with scotchbrite

MC, those tolerances you have shown on this pump, is that applicable to a stock setup? I may end up getting a new pump from you, I am currently taking my pump appart to find out why I only have 30psi a 2500 rpm. But I don't know what tolerances are good and what tolerances are bad.

I see you also have plated adapter plates. You recomend a midplate with those adapter plates? Does a mid plate keep me from buying a whole new adapter if mine is wore?

Are those gears aluminum?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Bump

Shawn, MC was at the FSJ Invasion when you wrote this so he may not have seen it - so I'm bumping your question for ya.

I have the whole setup (nickle cover, pump, gears) but haven't seen it since I left it at the machine shop (AMC 360, 30 over, cross drilled crank, oil modded, balanced, etc...) but the gears are steel (and my motor is due back this week ). Aluminium changes dimentions too much under heat load and I have a feeling they would eat themseves in no time.

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE