Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
1/4 elliptical

Thread: 1/4 elliptical

1/4 elliptical

Anyone know where some good articles are on 1/4 ellip setups? I'm seriously considering doing a 1/4 ellip front and rear on my CJ, it seems like it has the advantages of 4 link with coilovers, but without the large cost of coilovers... any help will be appreciated...
    1969 J3000
    1955 CJ5
    1974 Blazer
    1989 Blazer

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    These are some links i had from when i was considering it. Some of the links are 3/4 elliptical and the others are 1/4 elliptical

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews...l/3_4elli.html

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/quarterellip/

http://www.bc4x4.com/thbsjeep/t2/onequarter.html

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catal...ySpg/buggy.htm
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thanks, I'm gonna go check em out...
    does anyone know what the major disadvantages of 1/4 ellip are?
    1969 J3000
    1955 CJ5
    1974 Blazer
    1989 Blazer

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    it just takes some fab work and is probly not the best for street, but when setup right you can street it
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

with a 1/4 elip. you only have half a leaf goin to the axle
    with a 3/4 elip. you have a normal looking set up, till it flexes then you see that there is another 1/2 a leaf on the top side of the normal leaf pack.
    i am going to try to make a 3/4 *also known as the buggy leaf* on my sammi, it should be pretty easy, just gotta u-bolt a leaf to the frame, and run the shakle to the other leaf pack. oh, and drill a fair sized hole through the extra leaf and drop a wing nut and some ready rod through it so i can street it. this is the big diff between 1/4 and 3/4 elip springs, 1/4 is illegal, 3/4 can be hid easy enough.

oh and btw, 1/4 elip is nice because when your axle droops, it swings fowards, so you can have nuts travel, and not worry about your slip yokes un splining. the draw back to it is that it "provides no downwards force" while articulating, means unless you're locked, you don't have the same fowards push you once did. but this is all just theory, i've never run it, but guys i talk to say they love it.
    i got a zuk... it's like a jeep.. only cheaper

oh, btw i forgot one thing, with a 1/4 elip set up, the biggest dissadvantage is that you now rear steer like a mother fucker!
    when nyou flex, one side will be pushed towards the front, while the side that is lifting will be drawn to the front. now you think about this... if one come closer, and one further, the result is a crooked axle, it'll kinda walk around you under flex. also, if one side has more weight on it, it'll make a differnce on how it tracks, this would be why i'm pretty sure it's not street legal.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    supazuck is almost dead on. but when i counter steer...The front doesnt shift.......Thats my ?...supazuk.......thas mine!

My thinking tells me its BODY ROLL
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    supazuck is almost dead on. but when i counter steer...The front doesnt shift.......Thats my ?...supazuk.......thas mine!

My thinking tells me its BODY ROLL
    i'm sorry dude.. i don't follow... body roll causes a lil bit of rear steer, but the rear steer from 1/4 elip set ups is much more exadurated. i've read about triagulated links to stop this, it seems to work, but i still think it's all at the loss of travel.

the front end shifting...? dude.. huh? when you rear steer, you have to play with your steering wheel to straighten out the lil prick while it's all over the place. anyways, a lil more info, and i can help ya.