Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat and Heater Box

I should have made a note of which motor I used. I did special order a higher end motor (Modine?) than the "offshore" generic model.
    Some mfrs. show different #s for various applications (AC/no AC, HD/non HD, etc.) Other mfrs. supply one # for all applications.. Maybe the difference isn't so critical for the Chev applications, but of course is for the Jeep transplant.
    My motor came w/ the drain hole.. I've heard that there are some out there that don't, but I haven't come across one. I plugged it w/ a plastic plug (the hole's a common size) and a little sealer.

Oh... Yeah... I see from your last post that by "turning down" the shaft, you removed length from it (am I right?) If so, that's the same prob I've heard that others have had. (I originally thought you meant you had to turn down the diameter of the shaft.)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Oh... Yeah... I see from your last post that by "turning down" the shaft, you removed length from it (am I right?)
    Well, no. Not really. The new motor had a larger diameter shoulder on the shaft that acted as a stop when you pressed on the fan. I had to turn that down to match the diam of the standing part that fits into the fan, and then file the flat keyway to slide the fan down. Shaft length really isn't the problem since there are several inches between the motor and the box.
    I should have taken pics of the process - didn't think it was that important, but the "How To" didn't mention it either. Didn't take long and was a faily simple deal - mic the shaft make sure you've got the same diameter when you turn it down, file the flat and then polish it up some and you're done. I got both motors from Pep Boys ($18 new) and I think they are Sieman's or something like that.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Siemens is good quality stuff (always a surprise to see good stuff from Pep Boys!). They are one of the Mfrs. who list several different #s for the motors (depending on whether they're for AC/not, HD/not, etc.) It'd be nice to find out which one of their #s (if any) is the direct fit.