Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
water leaks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water leaks

water leaks

Got an '80 Cherokee Golden Eagle, 360 and 4-sp. Looking to get some ideas on where to look for a neusance water leak. When driven in rain, water leaks into the passenger side foot-well, comes down through the heater vent. I'm guessing a weep hole in the cowl area, but it really doesn't leak when it just sits while it rains. We thought it was in the wheel well, and tries sealing it with undercoateing and roofing tar, but didn't work. I heard this is a common thing with these trucks. Any one else?
    "Balls!" says the Queen, "If I had them, I'd be King!"

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    sheesh i am thinking right behind the heater box or windsheild seal...tigger might have a few ideaas on this one
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I would check the windshield seal or a radio antenna lead hole in the bottlm of the cowl air box.

I had a problem with the windshield seal a while back. That's where I'd check. Mine was easy though. It was top center.
    71 Jeepster Commando

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: water leaks

Quote Originally Posted by engine
    Got an '80 Cherokee Golden Eagle, 360 and 4-sp. Looking to get some ideas on where to look for a neusance water leak. When driven in rain, water leaks into the passenger side foot-well, comes down through the heater vent. I'm guessing a weep hole in the cowl area, but it really doesn't leak when it just sits while it rains. We thought it was in the wheel well, and tries sealing it with undercoateing and roofing tar, but didn't work. I heard this is a common thing with these trucks. Any one else?
    Have you pressure washed the engine compartment? Did it leak then? If so there are a variety of places on the P-side under or around the battery tray - the computer harness, fan motor and the heater drain, bolts, etc.
    If not pressure wash the windshield area for a few minutes. If you dont see any water, fold the windshield down and see if you've had encroachment past the rubber. This has been where mine have leaked in the past - air pressure pushes the water UNDER the rubber seal. If so you can get a new windshield seal OR I have used some 1/2 wide 1/4" thick door seal to stop the water from coming under the seal, it compresses nicely whan you put the winshield back up
    Another area is the front door seal???
    Let us know what you find out.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I haven't pressure washed the engine compartment. I don't think this Jeep has a computer. Do you mean the main wire harness? When you say fold the wind shield down, you mean like the CJ7? this is a full size cherokee, the windshield doesn't fold down or anything. We sealed the windshield over, though. I don't think it's from there. \

Right now it's too frickin cold to do anything . I can't even spend 5 minutes in the garage without freezin' my butt off. I'm gonna have to wait till spring.

I haven't pressure washed the engine compartment. I don't think this Jeep has a computer. Do you mean the main wire harness? When you say fold the wind shield down, you mean like the CJ7? this is a full size cherokee, the windshield doesn't fold down or anything. We sealed the windshield over, though. I don't think it's from there. \

Right now it's too frickin cold to do anything . I can't even spend 5 minutes in the garage without freezin' my butt off. I'm gonna have to wait till spring.
    OOps Missed the Cherokee part before, I was thinking Golden Eagle Jeep Never had a problem with my Cherokees leaking Might still be something in the engine compartment though since it only happens when your rolling and not sitting (that is right - - right?)?
    And roger on the cold - my shop lost the heater a few days (weeks?) ago and it's buried under snow and sleet right now too!.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

The Cherokee is a Golden Eagle.

The Cherokee is a Golden Eagle.
    Engine, this was the Golden Eagle I was thinking of... did you ever find the leak?

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Windshield seal, heater... etc all that was mentioned and also check the pass door seal, it could be running down and puddling in the floor if you aren't seeing a solid dripping from a certain area.

The pressure washer idea is a good one have someone spray while you look.