Good question about the frame mods, MC. It's my understanding that AMC originally begin boxing the CJ frames because the 304s were tearing 'em up.

Randy:
Thanks for your input to my original question... Good info, and adds to solving the puzzle. I'm working at making this build both a good DD and a "wolf in sheap's clothing" offroad. Doing my best to keep it looking stock enough that it doesn't stand out too much around town, but capable offroad (as well as safe and comfortable to drive on the highway.) ...I know... I'm asking a lot!!! That's why I want to put as much research into it b'fore committing to various mods.

Anybody else with input about front driveline angles, ane how critical they are, please chime in! Also... how have people dealt w/ raising the TC (for clearance) and fan/shroud/radiator alignment? (I don't want to lift the body any more than the 1/2" that I've done, so I don't have clearance to raise the engine.) Looks to me that I'll have to drop the radiator/shroud down some...