Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Easy ways to increase Hp - Page 4
Bulltear Ad
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Easy ways to increase Hp

What about adding an electric fan that's supposed to add, what, 10-15 hps?
    Hmmm, insert nut and turn....

http://jeepsr4ever.imgbay.com/charter.jpg

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Robert your dead on

1. electric fan
    2. electric fuel pump
    3. under drive pulley
    4. better air cleaner(more flow)
    5. even running better gasoline
    6. Hotter coil with a larger gap plug
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

What is an under drive pulley?

I have been told --similar subject--that putting smaller pulleys on your alternator will increase your voltage out. I am an electronics tech and I am not so sure.
    Hmmm, insert nut and turn....

http://jeepsr4ever.imgbay.com/charter.jpg

im thinking of adding twin t3 turbo chargers. my only reserve is I dont know how bad it will be for the engine. any advice?

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

EZ HP

About that collector gasket, I believe that it is "SCE" that makes copper ones that will not blow out.

Also available is the Mr. Gasket Co. MRG-7174 Copperseal exhaust gasket set for $34.00. Kepps the "pss pss pss" away.

Still on exhausts, after I rebuilt my 360, I immediately started "blowing" mufflers!!! These were the good Hooker "Turbo" mufflers, with 2.5" pipes out the back. After blowing and replacing two of them, I did some looking and found that sidepipe mufflers are round and made from thicker metal than oval mufflers, so that's the stuff. Sounded STRONG as heck. The guy at the gas station said he always new it was me 'cause he could feel the ground pounding!!!

First let me say that the dogleg heads flow very well, with stock intake and exhaust, power peak should fall between 5500 and 6000 RPM. As soon as you switch to free flow exhaust and intake, power peak is gonna go up to around 7000 RPM. So, if your gonna play, play to win. None of that "I don't want to over carburate it" or "I want to build it for bottom end torque" stuff! These heads peak at 7000 RPM. If you want to build for slow speed, get an LT-1 from chevy, or one of them little motors ford is putting in them mustangs. I was thinking of converting one of them there little things into a starter motor for my AMX. :)

Anyway, EZ HP for a stocker would be to get rid of as much "parasitic" drag as possible, put on a set of BIG TUBE headers (I don't believe in "conservative" with the dogleg heads - they want to flow, let them!), an R4B or Torker, a 750 Vac Sec for auto, or an 850 DP for stick. Don't skimp on the air filter, use the tallest 14" diameter one that will fit under the hood. You may get 20HP from this one alone! Also don't forget that you have to have gas in the bowls to run good, get an electric pump, remove and cork the stock hole (BBC blockoff plate), and use a .5" line from the pump to the fuel log. You should be around 400HP now, and going deeper will net more gains. Let your wallet decide for you. While a brekerless ignition and an MSD box won't really add any HP, they will reinstate that which you are losing due to wear or misfiring due to too low of a voltage to fire the plug at high pressures, etc.

I have an otherwise stock, 4-spd 360 AMX, 3.54 posi, 26" street radials, that turned a 13.08@108 with R4B, Holley 3310 750 vac., and headers with pipes to the bumper. It would have been wasted in wheelspin, but I revved to 5500 and popped BOTH the clutch and the throttle at the same time. As soon as the front came up and the car hooked, back to the floor w/the throttle. It hooked so good that my rt traction bar broke in half and was dragging, had to bend it back and forth a few times to get it all the way off on the return road. This run would have been quicker, but the stock fuel pump & lines left it getting very soft in third gear. Fourth wasn't needed.

BIG BOOST: We all have heard about getting (maybe) 38 degrees of timing at full advance, all in by 2600 (or so) RPM. Here's something that you may be able to do this weekend without spending a dime!!! A lot of cars come from the factory with the initial timing spec at, say, 10 degrees. Then we need the distributor to give us 28. What if we limit the distributor to, say, 18, and put the rest in initially? BINGO!!! You won't believe the difference. In some cases your car may crank slow or have a harder time cranking, fix the starting system! Just make sure that you don't get into detonation (pre-ignition). It has been described as sounding like a glass of lead shot being dumped out onto a tin roof.
    Higher octane gas, or throwing more in there should cure it.

In addition to HP increase, your butt will smile if you change to 3.91, 4.11, or 4.56 gears. Then you can use tall tires for road trips and shorter stickey Mickey's for raising kane. BIG boost in accel Geez!!!

BTW: The 401 should have .458"/.458" lift at the valve, and 296 IN and 303 EX duration, seat to seat. An EASY bolt on would be the 1.7~1 rockers from a smallblock Ford, for .1 more percent lift, and adding more to every other cam spec. While you're in there, use your compression guage adapter to hold your valves shut at power stroke TDC while you put new valve springs on. Get the strongest springs that fit w/o machine work. That alone should add 500~1000 RPMs, and with the RPMs come HP.

...enuff 4 now....bye
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

great advice holeshot! I will add that if you can get air into that air cleaner that isnt coming from the engine compartment you will be better off, a eighties 302 ho air cleaner will adapt to the vents (if you have them on both sides) I second that gear ratio and i personally love the R4B...poor little LT1
    [COLOR=#000000]

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    So much good info - - - so little $$$

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

i know ..............................

[COLOR=#000000]

EZ HP gains

Rite on, I was getting a lil short breath after all that typing!

Rule of thumb: 1% more HP for every 10 degrees of cooling the intake air (according to Smokey Yunnuck, his book is under my pillow, with my .45).

So, a 500HP motor will be 550HP if you can lower the intake air by 100 degrees.

I've wondered if a guy could set up an A/C system to chill the intake charge, maybe use a vacuum solenoid to cut off the compressor when the pedal goes down. And, maybe, use one of those 2800CFM fans to blow the frigid-air into the carb...that fan may even fit in my cowl hood's air cleaner hole!
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.

Is this a Mopar part?

Oh, I'm sorry, you said easy, you didn't say cheap...
    (since we are now driving "Mopars", couldn't one of these be considered a Mopar engine)

Nostalgia ProStock.