Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
360 piston sources?
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 piston sources?

360 piston sources?

I am starting to compile a list of distributors that sell pistons for 360's. I am primarily looking for something around 8.5-9 comp ratio and am interested in seeing how much $$$ forged pistions would be compared to cast. However, I haven't found a single place that sells/makes forged 360 pistons. I am mostly looking online and haven't bothered calling anyone (jegs/summit/paw/etc) to see if they have pistons that they don't list in catalogs or online. Right now I am looking for either cast/forged pistons just to see what options are out there.

It seems like there are practically no aftermarket manufactures making anything for this engine. (at least you 401 guys can get forged Fed.Mogul. pistons). There also isn't much availablity in different compression ratios. I hate to say it, but building a SBC or SBF is much easier/cheaper. - (don't start sending hate mail - I am intensionally swapping a 360 for a 304 to keep my CJ a true AMC - I am a purest in that regard.) It would be great to start demanding attention from the aftermarket manufactures. - with the EFI/Al heads it looks like Edelbrock might finally be catching on - too bad they don't make rods/cranks/pistons.

It would be great to have a list of dist for "hard to find" parts for AMC's. I know that a lot of people spend a lot of time finding parts and decent prices for some parts and that most of this searching is duplicated by everyone who doing the same build. (maybe a new index in the forum where people can list where they find hard to find parts or great deals?) I would love to see a lot more of this info (not just 360 pistons) being shared.
    '74 CJ5
    304V8
    T18 swap
    twin-sticked/Geared D20
    front disc
    York OBA

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I agree, I sell 360 pistons for $235 new (8 ) but they are cast and i only offer standard and .030 over
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    I agree, I sell 360 pistons for $235 new (8 ) but they are cast and i only offer standard and .030 over
    What compression ratio are these? I am assuming that these are nearly identical to the factory/stock pistons? .030 is probably OK since I am planning on having the block reworked. Also, can these be converted to full-float or do the pistons have to be designed differently for that? Ideally I would like full-float pistons but with the lack of basic options I am not holding my breath.
    '74 CJ5
    304V8
    T18 swap
    twin-sticked/Geared D20
    front disc
    York OBA

these are stockers, what head are you running....the last 4 digits will tell. Also i am not sure on the floating with stock pistons
    [COLOR=#000000]

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    these are stockers, what head are you running....the last 4 digits will tell. Also i am not sure on the floating with stock pistons
    I have 2 sets of heads to pick from: http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1073 so I haven't picked which heads I will use - but I probably should get the numbers of of each block/head/etc. BTW, what head differences over the years would make a difference in piston selection? (I thought there was very little differences in heads over the years).

What compression is your pistons/stock? (I can't believe that I don't know this one already)
    '74 CJ5
    304V8
    T18 swap
    twin-sticked/Geared D20
    front disc
    York OBA

8.5 stock with your heads
    [COLOR=#000000]

Anyone have a source for High Compression Pistons?

I am rebuilding my tired 360 and am looking for a source for high compression pistons (10:1 or so). I am running on LPG gas and am building the engine strickly for LPG usage. I am planning on stainless valves, roller-tip rockers and hardened valve seats, new RV Cam (I think Summit 8600) and lifters, new valve springs and high-compression pistions. I seem to be able to locate everything but the pistons unless I am willing to pay $700 for forged units which would be overkill for this engine. I am planning on using it for a daily driver with the odd day of towing my travel trailer. Any suggestions?

Dalan Hawker
    87' Grand Wagoneer - Work in Progress
    LPG fuel convertion
    HEI Ignition
    Power Sun-roof

Why in the 10's for compression you can run propane comfortably in the 9's the higher the compression the more expensive the AMC piston it seems. I would love to convert my Cj-7's 401 over this summer for extreme angles. Have you found a source for components?
    [COLOR=#000000]

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Shooo Dalan, I am having the same problem finding them for my 401. LEt me know what you find out. I have found a few good sources, but then it turns out to be not what I need. Back to the drawing board....
    Jack

Venolia has some 10.2's (forged) but the cost is around $680. Maybe we can convince Bulltear that they should make some at a better deal.
    87' Grand Wagoneer - Work in Progress
    LPG fuel convertion
    HEI Ignition
    Power Sun-roof