Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 360 piston sources?

Has anyone tried the new Edelbrock heads with stock or slightly higher compression pistons? They advertise that the heads will increase compression ratio to 9.5:1 which would work not too bad for my LPG application and the cost of cast pistons verses having to go with forged pistons to get higher compression may be worth the benefits that the aluminum heads with give me. What benefits would I get going this route vs. high compression forged pistons and the stock heads?
    Any ideas or thoughts out there on this one?
    87' Grand Wagoneer - Work in Progress
    LPG fuel convertion
    HEI Ignition
    Power Sun-roof

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: Anyone have a source for High Compression Pistons?

Quote Originally Posted by dhawker
    I am running on LPG gas and am building the engine strickly for LPG usage.
    Dalan Hawker
    Dalan, you're running LP Gas now? How has that worked out for you? I asked a bunch of questions earlier and didn't get many replies. I too am interested in the hardware your passing it thru and into the cyclinders. I'm also curious about your 'milage' and how you have the tank set up. This would be a great "How To" post - a '360 vapor build-up'.

TIA
    Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I can't comment yet on how well it works since I started ripping the jeep apart a couple days after I got it. I purchased it at an auction near my home for $1100/Canadian (that's about $750 American). It was already converted to LPG when I purchased it. The tanks are located under the backend where the spare tire should be. The original gas tank has been removed as well as all the smog control equipment. I drove the jeep around town for about 2 hours while I still had the insurance (the day I bought it). I love sticking my head out the power sunroof. It seemed to run well but I know LPG engines take a hit in power unless they are built strictly for using LPG. The previous owner never did anything to the engine that I can see execpt add the propane convertion. Since it had about 255 Thousand Kilometers on the engine I decided it was a time to have it rebuilt properly for propane use (stainless valves, hardened seals, higher compression, HEI ignition, magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter system, etc). I am taking digital pictures along the way and will give a report as I go. So far I have taken a heck of alot of things apart and put very little back together, but I am having a great time doing it and am getting a huge tool collection in the process!

Dalan
    87' Grand Wagoneer - Work in Progress
    LPG fuel convertion
    HEI Ignition
    Power Sun-roof

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by dhawker
    I am taking digital pictures along the way and will give a report as I go. So far I have taken a heck of alot of things apart and put very little back together, but I am having a great time doing it and am getting a huge tool collection in the process!

Dalan
    Thanks for that info - and keep us posted with the pics and progress (and the tool collection ) You can never have too many of the right ones

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE