Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Preluber

I would be interested in something like that if you can get it to work. Seems to me that almost all the wear in an engine happens when you first start it up, before the oil has had a chance to make around the block. Seems like pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.
    87' Grand Wagoneer - Work in Progress
    LPG fuel convertion
    HEI Ignition
    Power Sun-roof

Hey, MC... Shouldn't take much... a cylinder, piston w/ a good tight seal (maybe multiple O-rings or even a big cup seal), a spring w/ a rate calcualted to be compressible w/ the oil pressure while exerting max possible pressure when released, a good electrically operated valve and a switching mechanism. Were it me doing it, I'd have the thing shut the valve while the oil's still cold and the pressure's higher! ...be able to put that much more pressure back into the system upon startup. A normally closed valve and a pressure switch which feeds power to open the valve from the moment the ignition's turned on until a pre-determined pressure's reached ought to do it. Initially, the valve would open and allow oil to enter the system, then the valve remains open while the engine's started and stays open until the system's pressurized and the resevoir's full.
    You could tee into the pressure sender, or better still, make your SS pump plate a little thicker, and drill and tap for a fitting just after the filter output.

Here's the deal... you can have my ideas for free... just toss a unit my way when you got 'em in production! (If you don't, I'm comin after ya... and you don't want that!!)

I can not tell about the "autoenginelube" produce, however the oil accumulators from Moroso or Accusump operate on a floating piston design, where there is air pressure on top of the piston to counteract the pressure of the oil. It is pre-charged with an innitial pressure with a schrader valve by the attached gauge before instalation, then the oil pressure forces the piston against the air to compress the air to store the pressure.
    I have a Moroso unit in my Jeep that I installed in the remote cooler/filter circuit that I already had. I chose to wire it to a toggle switch, which I turn on before cranking. As soon as the gauge shows pressure rising, then crank engine. The electric valve is of a type that blocks flow from the accumulator but allows slow reverse bleed flow when the circuit is open. As soon as the engine starts and generates pressure on it's own, I turn off the switch, allowing the reverse flow to refill the accumulator as the engine runs, and leaving it fully charged for the next re-start.
    The system could be plumbed into any convenient port after the pump, including the sender port.
    I have had it installed for about 5 years with no problems.

Good simple design. Air makes a fine means of storing the energy needed to exert the pressure upon opening the valve, since it can be compressed. Although its operation is not automatic, the simplicity is a plus.
    Is there a determined air pressure that your unit needs to be filled to (in order to give desired oil pressure upon valve opening)? Does air need to be added from time to time?

If the Autoenginelube device works by this principle, it ought to be ok, but they make no mention of any means of pressure storage... which ought to be a primary selling point to anyone who's of a technical nature. (Either they're underestimating their prospective customers... or maybe there's nothing there to talk about..)

The unit must be charged with air to a recomended pressure prior to usage to expel the full capacity of oil in the unit. The engine pressure then charges the unit with oil, further pressurizing the unit to operating presure. The combined pressure feeds the oil into the engine with almost all the capacity available if needed.
    So far (knock on wood) I have not had to add air to the unit, although if it was required, it would be very simple. By activating the unit with the engine off, there by draining the unit, the attached gauge would indicate the risidual pressure, and the schrader valve mounted on the top would provide for easy adjustment.

pre luber

Is there any reason you could not use an external electric pump and tap into the milodon external oil system (or something similar, I happen to use the milodon system). The electric pump is manually operated, sucks oil from an existing line right out of the pan, once you have pressure, start the engine and kill the electric pump. Someone could probably create an add on to the amc ignition so that this was an automatic process. Turn the ignition key, electric pump kicks on, oil pressure rises to 20lbs, then the starter kicks in, electric pump kicks off, engine starts and runs on engine oil pump. I'd buy this!

Thanks,

Mark