Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Steering Problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Problems

Steering Problems

Hey guys. I just put my new lift and 35's on about a month ago. Only problem is that now I can't take my car on the highway. It starts zig-zagging all over the road at about 40 mph . I rebuilt my steering box, and I put in a flaming-river steering shaft but it still hasn't fixed my problem. Any ideas of what I should try next? Thanks

James

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Rojo, have someone turn your wheel back and forth and you look at the steering parts, that is the best way of diagnosis
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Yep sounds like the larger tires have made worn steering components more noticable.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    ck all the tie rod ends ball joints and look at the frame were the box bolts on to make sure it is not moving a lot the get a front end aliment to make sure the axel is not bent on one side or the other

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Many times when you install a lift kit the caster can change and if you shim or otherwise tilt your front pumkin to provide a better drive shaft angle it will add positive caster. This will cause the problem that you are discribing.

Dave
    76 CJ7: 401 (Indy heads, edelbrock EFI, 442HP, 459 ft/lbs, dyno), 700 R4, Dana 300, Dana 60 full float air locker shaved, Dana 44 air locker shaved, 37"MTR's.

Ditto on checking the caster... However, positive caster is what you want. Shimming the axle to rotate the pinion up, or using longer shackles will both reduce positive caster (or induce negative caster).
    Caster is what makes your wheels want to track in a straight line.
    Check your steering and suspension for any play, then take the vehicle to an alignment shop to check the alignment.

Rocky is right positive is what you want shiming will give you negative.

Dave
    76 CJ7: 401 (Indy heads, edelbrock EFI, 442HP, 459 ft/lbs, dyno), 700 R4, Dana 300, Dana 60 full float air locker shaved, Dana 44 air locker shaved, 37"MTR's.

I didn't see what kind of vehicle?

sterring problem

i,m having a similar problem with my 79cj7 i changed the bushings to poly helped some couldn,t get out the main eyes out though any ideas all the steer stuff looks tight put Hd tie rod & Hd drag link also still wanders worse on rural rds could steer wheel contribute its only 10"
    79CJ7 304
    78cj5 360

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: sterring problem

Hi PIT... did you try all of the above already? Especially the steering box wobble under load (dry tires turning side to side) , tie rod ends, etc? Shake the tires and see if the wheel berings are warn (you'll feel a slight 'bump' when you shacke the top of the tire) - next would be alignment $$$
    Mudrat

Quote Originally Posted by pitjeep
    i,m having a similar problem with my 79cj7 i changed the bushings to poly helped some couldn,t get out the main eyes out though any ideas all the steer stuff looks tight put Hd tie rod & Hd drag link also still wanders worse on rural rds could steer wheel contribute its only 10"
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE