Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Suspension Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspension Questions

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Moving the shock mount to the top of the axle will cause you to have to use shorter shocks, which will limit articulation.
    With moving the shocks like tigger said should not limit the travel that much. I plan on doing mine the same way. You don't need to use as long of a shock but b/c they are on top you dont need as much travel out of it either. Also leaving it mounted on the bottom puts it closer to the rocks and damage.

am i completely wrong with the above statement?

Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Quote Originally Posted by pyagid
    With moving the shocks like tigger said should not limit the travel that much. I plan on doing mine the same way. You don't need to use as long of a shock but b/c they are on top you dont need as much travel out of it either. Also leaving it mounted on the bottom puts it closer to the rocks and damage.

am i completely wrong with the above statement?
    Not completley wrong, with the shorter shock you will have less travel than if you ran a longer shock. The question is do you need that much travel....

What needs to be done is before getting shocks is to flex out the suspension and measure for shock extended and compressed length at full compression and full droop with the spring being the limiting factor, not the shock or the brake lines or steering. Compare that to the shock charts and get what matches or is close. Sometimes having the shock limit the travel is good so you dont' mess up something else.

If you use the ford shock towers you can run the rancho 5012's with the shock mounts set up like I described, and you dont' get much more travel than that from what I am reading.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    That is what i planned on doing. and that is basically what i was thinking dont think i typed it properly though.

Before i ordered shocks I was going to flex the vehicle out to the bump stops and measure. Get something as close as possible to get maximum flex

Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I'll just bring it to the shop and pick one tire up with the forklift

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    I'll just bring it to the shop and pick one tire up with the forklift

Mudrat
    Exactly what I will be doing at the hobby shop once this is built