Alright folks... I decided to make my own HD Rear output shaft and housing for my Dana 20... Mainly because.. I'm too cheap to go out and spend $450-$500 for the kit... Plus I can make mine BIGGER and BETTER..
Anyway, after pulling the rear housing and shaft from the Dana 20 I had to decide what material that I would use... I decided to look in my "little" Junk pile of axle parts etc.. And I just happened to find my old pinion from the 14 Bolt which had the 3:21 gears (Hence the reason it was in the Junk Pile, People told me to sell that on Ebay because it's a rare catch.. What-ever I guess). Anyway, after a few moments of measuring I realized that this pinion had plenty of material in all directions.... So, my first step was see how hard this pinion was... I did the rockwell test and i tested @ 62 on the "C" scale... WOW! That $h!t is hard as He!! I thought to myself... I then had to look up the material... 8620 A low alloy steel... (Great for Case hardening).. along with 4340... The only problem that I had was the hardness... Mainly the case.. After more research I founf that the case was approximately .070" thick... So, with that bit of knowledge I decided to Full-Anneal it.. (To make it soft)... After I Full-Annealed it I chucked it up and started turning it in a lathe... The first few passes were kind of touchy but the cutter held up to the calling... surprisingly with the interupted cuts and hardness of the outer shell... Once I cut past the hard stuff it was like cutting butter... I cut it down to the size specified from what my math/formulas told me to cut it to... After that, it was time to set-up the Horizontal mill for cutting splines... After digging through cutters I finally found a cutter that matched... Now that I got the cutter I did even more math/formulas to figure the offset and table height increase... I did some practice pieces first and they came out good so I figured.. lets rock-out with the cock-out... After cutting the modified pinion I decided to make it longer.. So grabbed a piece of material and decided to start from scratch... Here are some pics of this little "project"

Stock Shaft

Modified Pinion

Both side by side

Bottom of stock shaft

Bottom of modified pinion

Picture or drawing of Custom housing

Custom Housing

Side view of housing

More of a top view of housing

Top view with Cup or outer Race installed

View with bearing sitting in-place

A side view with oiling holes etc

The other side with Cup in-place

Another shot of oiling hole (For external lines or plug)

These next two pics are of the test pieces.. using different methods

This is a pic of the complete shaft

Shaft inside of gear

Shaft inside gear with Yoke sitting in-place

Bottom view of shaft and gear

View of Gear

Hopefully you guys will enjoy this thread... I'll post more pics once I have accomplished a little more... I still have to drill and bore the backside of the gear and also I need to heat treat and coat it... Up-dates to come! Feel free to leave comments, thoughts, ideas etc..