i'm pretty confused by a few things.a little background first.i bought an 83 cj with what appears to be an 89 g-wag 360 in it.i ran it a few miles and it died. i pulled the dizzy,and found the cam gear and dist gear were stripped and it had jumped time.so i pulled another set of gears from a spare motor and was gonna fix it.first i wanted to find out what caused the gear failure.after disassembling the front half of my motor we found nothing that would have caused the failure.oil hole in cam gear lined up fine,no casting flash etc.so i decided to tear into the oil pump.disassembled the pump,clearances all looked good no gouges,burrs,nothing.pulled the relief plunger and spring..looked good.then i grabbed the oil filter.thunk thunk.wtf?so i cut the filter open and it looked like a crushed beer can inside.it had a bosch filter on it and the part number cross referenced to the napa 1258.so i go to napa...and ask for a filter for an 89 g-wag.they give me 1626.i tell him isn't it supposed to be a 1258?he says not for 89.so i installed the filter and fired her up.60 psi cold 25psi at 200 degrees with 5/30 in it.seems to be fine so far(about 45 minutes run time.then reading on here i see that everyone is recommending the 1258.then i read this in the sticky on filter adapters

"Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:27 pm Post subject: Oil filters - wrong one will fry engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget that there are two distinct oil filter numbers as well, one US & one metric (guessing), if you use the wrong one, I hope your oil pressure light is working because you will soon be sucking air!!!

The metric ones have a caution sticker on the inner fenderwell warning of the possibility of using the wrong filter.

The vehicle I saw the sticker on was about a '90 Wagoneer type boat that the owner put the wrong filter on after putting in a salvage yard engine. Too bad he didn't hook up the idiot lights!!! He got to put yet another engine in after that."

now i'm really confused.is my 89 filter adapter different?whats the difference between napa gold 1258 and 1626?is using the 1258 type(bosch equivelent)filter on the 89 adapter what caused the other filter to fail and cause the gears to strip?this is a fairly healthy motor and i don't want to hurt it.can someone please school me on this whole deal?thanks in advance.jeremy