I've been reading about motor build ups and discovered picking the right cam is best done by experience and matching it to vehicle specifics. I definitely need some experienced help.
Here is the whole story. I have a tired 360 block with a weak cylinder and low oil pressure. It has rebuilt stock 58cc heads, an HEI distributor and an Edelbrock performance package, i.e. 600cfm carb, performer intake, cam, lifters and timing chain set. Also stock exhaust manifolds with 2 1/4" to 3" single exhaust pipe and turbo muffler. All with about 1500 miles. I'd like to swap the above items to a 401 short block that I'm going to have rebuilt. Looks like it will have a .030 overbore with stock 8.5/1 cast pistons.
I've been reading the Edelbrock cam isn't the way to go. What cam is going to give me the best broad power ban from say, 1500 to 4500 RPM's? I'm hoping to just change the cam.
Related specifics. This motor is for my '55 Willys 4x4 wagon which will be doing some 3500 lb. towing and has a T-18 4 spd. with 6.34 1st., 4.10 gears and 33" tires. I like to crawl around at less than 2000 rpm's site seeing off-road. But still need to tow a small trailer or my CJ3a from time to time to distance states at about 3,000 RPM's and 65 mph.