Ok, now after I have corrected my starter issue, I seem to have run into another problem (go figure).

Over the past few days, I've had an issue with the torque converter - flexplate bolts begin slapping against the plate between the block and transmission. I ended up breaking the flexplate and had to replace it.

Initially I thought it had something to do with the flexplate being fatigued due to the starter issues I was having, so I changed it out. I reassembled everything, and same issue.

Next, I thought it might have had something to do with the new torque converter I installed while troubleshooting the starter issues I was having. I decided that wasn't the problem and simply tried installing shorter torque converter to flexplate bolts. Same problem.

Then it had me thinking that perhaps I didn't get the torque converter pushed in all the way into the pump on the transmission. So, I took it out, and it did seem to hit all three engaugements this time, and put everything together once more. And it worked - for a while.

I drove the jeep around most of the day yesterday with no problems. I began working on resolving other small issues, when all of a sudden last night, I began having the bolts griding against the midplate once more. I had a flashlight with me, and when I checked this time, the torque converter had slid a bit out of the pump and was pushing the flexplate against the midplate.

Ok, so now I've found the problem. The torque converter is coming out of the pump when I get the jeep up to highway speeds. It doesn't seem to be doing this when I am simply riding around town at lower speeds.

Does anyone have any idea on what would possibly cause this?

I'm wondering if it it possible, that the local parts store sold me the wrong torque converter before, and I'm just now finding out about it due to the fact that I'm just now able to drive the thing.

Any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Aubrey