Hello asleep at the wheel

I am currently running the lunati 64501 in my 401 9:1 motor it came out perfect with the performer manifold. dur @ .050 is 213/220 .484/.507 112 lsa i think they cut themselves short on a little on the lift numbers that is where i think engle shines. Engle and lunati share very similar cam timing events so either is in my opinion a good choice. I have run Engle cams in the past and their approach using high lift and short durations is spot on for great low end performance. I wish i had capitalized on a little more lift for my motor but I wanted a very conservative low idling motor on this build with no concerns about heat. the higher lift in my case would have made a few more ponies and a little more heat. i had the lunati cam here from a different build that had low miles and a spun cam bearing. so it only made $ and cents to run it. had i not had it i would have had engle grind me up something of the 214/ 220 @.050 variety with a .501/.524 112 lsa variety or i might have even stepped it up just a smidge more to 216/222 but that would have been splitting hairs. I ran the 54 in a stock 401 and had no trail idling ability issues, i loved the cam for a stock build and actually probably would have run it or something a touch bigger on my current build but cost was a factor this time. most of my 401s ive built love the 9:1-9.8:1 area and love 218-224 duration @.050 on 112 lsa's. but going a little shorter on the .050 duration #'s sure makes the idling down ability of the motor shine. with my TBI when setting the idle in diagnostic mode with the iac disconnected i can adjust things down to 300 rpm and it will sit there and do it for hours. with the iac hooked up my idle regularly sits at 500-525 smooth and rocks to life at the touch of the throttle. driving around town at 1000-1500 rpm is bartely a touch of the throttle. something to be said for a motor that doesnt surge or hickup when you ask it to keep running in the 250-350 rpm range.

With the higher compression you have listed i would look at an intake and exhaust .050 duration maybe something in the .210-.216 range. the 52/54 is pretty close and probably what i would run with a 9:1 or 9.5:1 amc360. like mc said there is something to be had with compression and a short duration cam. split patterns aren't always necessary for amcs as much as they are for fords etc our exhaust ports dont seem to be as constrained