Just tried to fire up the newly rebuilt 360 yesterday only to have a minor issue bring everything to a halt. The engine would start and run ONLY with the ignition key rolled all of the forward (in the start position). As soon as the key rolled back to the RUN position the engine stops.

I have not done an extensive investigation yet, but I do know that I am showing NO voltage at the ignition relay when the key is turned ON (RUN position). I have looked at several wiring diagrams for the ignition relay and everything seems to be O.K., but need to look closer again.

All of this was disassembled 1 year ago, but I believe that the wiring to the relay was never removed. Everything was running when disassembled. I have been under the steering dash doing alot of wiring and may have disturbed something, but the ignition swith was never removed.

Can anyone give me a good trouble shooting procedure for my 1978 cj7 ignition relay? I know that the POS. wires to the Batt. are off one side and the starter motor wire is off the other side (both large terminals). That leaves the two relay wires (one red , one blue) on the top of the relay. Not yet sure which wires are from where,go to where or do what yet. All of my books are vague about this relay.

One more thought, I do have a t-18 4spd with a neutral safety switch (two wire module on top of tranny case. While the wires are plugged in to the module, I am not absolutely sure that the tranny is in a "neutral" position. The twin sticks are presently both in neutral. If I check the wires coming out of the tranny should there be continuity?