Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fuel pump swap question

Thread: Fuel pump swap question

Fuel pump swap question

woo hoo, more newbie questions!!!

Quite a few people have told me to ditch the mech. Fuel pump and go electric, and I agree, but my questions are:

What do I do with the mech fuel pump in the block (I am currently rebuilding a 360)

What fuel pump would you suggest? (I am running a Holley 650 4 barrel)

and would I need a pressure regulator? if so what pressure?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If you're not experiencing fuel starvation, why swap?

Carter makes a replacement high volume mechanical. I ran one on my CJ until I went EFI (360 w/600 CFM), and run one on my AMX 390 w/750 carb. I don't have any problems with starvation.

If you go to an electric pump, you can use a small block Chevy block off plate, the shape is the same. You will need to mount an electric pump as close to the tank as possible, they're designed to push fuel, not draw. Use a pump that's rated around 6-7 PSI, and install a regulator near the carb to hold pressure around 6PSI. You may need to readjust your float levels in the carb.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I have the carter mech pump now runs 6 psi all the time with a 850 DP

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Cool, I will look into a carter pump

Thanks

I like the thought of an electric pump, I've never owned an AMC that could sit for more than a week without needing the carb primed.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

I have heard of people having issues when climbing hill at low idle so, the engine would starve and shutdown and stall.

So by using an electric fuel pump, it would solve the low idle bog issues

To get by it I just used a manual choke and would throw some choke into the mix if I was climbing an incline.

But I wanted to hear what solutions other AMC'ers have come up with for climbing inclines at low idle

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam
    I have heard of people having issues when climbing hill at low idle so, the engine would starve and shutdown and stall.

So by using an electric fuel pump, it would solve the low idle bog issues

To get by it I just used a manual choke and would throw some choke into the mix if I was climbing an incline.

But I wanted to hear what solutions other AMC'ers have come up with for climbing inclines at low idle
    Climbing and fuel issues should be float/fuel bowl related and not a pump issue.