Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Adjusting roller rockers
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Adjusting roller rockers

Adjusting roller rockers

I got the +.1 pushrods today, so I'm ready to finish off the valve train and button this engine up. I was wondering if anyone has feedback on adjusting the roller rockers. Sounds like the most accurate way is when the engine is hot and running (does not sound like fun) but I'd like to get as close as possible before hand to limit the mess.

I realize you need the lifter on the bottom of the cam lobe to find zero lash, and you want to adjust them with zero preload on the lifters. But how can you tell how far to tighten after the zero lash is achieved. Instructions say 1/2 to 1 turn. I've gone 1 turn and still have pretty loose (a noticeable sideplay) on idle rockers?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Happily enough the AMC's oiling issues help out here.. unless you get above an idle.. the oil doesn't spurt out and bathe you in it like a Small block chev.

(Ahh the good old days.. clouds of oil smoke stinging your eyes thinking ah those little piece of crap clips couldnt really help that much could they?)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    My answer to adjusting rockers when you can't use the GM style oil clips. It still splashes some, I need to add about a 1" raised lip to the lower edge to catch everything.

This is a bare 68/69 390 block, bored .030. The heads are 71 090 castings.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford