Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ignition Timing with aftermarket parts
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Ignition Timing with aftermarket parts

Ignition Timing with aftermarket parts

I need help setting my timing, I'm going to contact Edelbrock and Mallory to see what they think but I wanted to see what everyone else here thinks I should do. Here's the application:

1969 AMC 390
    Edelbrock Torker Intake Manifold
    Carter AFB 4bbl
    Mallory HEI Distributor

The book says TDC for stock. I'm having trouble dialing in the carb and I think its a timing issue. Please help, thanks.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Is the engine stock or modified? I have to run my 69 390 about 10-12 degrees advanced to get it to perform decent. I think the TDC spec from the book was for emissions requirements.

Bump up the timing until it either pings under load, or it starts hard, then back down a couple of degrees.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You cant use factory timing when you start to change around carbs if your trying to get the power out of the motor. Tuning the carb and the timing together is the only way. Feel free to advance your timing.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    Bump up the timing until it either pings under load, or it starts hard, then back down a couple of degrees.

Bob
    tufcj
    I might add one more thing to the list above...until it starts to run hot.

Our 401 was running hot, but when we backed our timing down from 10* to 5*, it is now running about 20 degrees cooler, and rarely gets above 200 unless it is 95 degrees plus outside and we are running down the highway or pulling hills. Then it only goes to about 210.

Alright thanks for the tip. I've never really timed or dialed in a motor before. I'm trying to get the thing to start nice and keep running, haha