Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Dana 60 maximum angle

Re: Pinion angle

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEYJOE
    WOW!! 16 Degrees sounds like a lot. I have not welded my perches yet as I am waiting to install the T case and measure for the rear shaft which is going to be SHORT. Then I can load the chassis to it's final ride height and set the pinion angle. With the FF axles I guess you can fill the case high and the outer bearings would get an extra dose of lube. Not sure if the hub side seal was designed to hold back hot 80W. Someone mentioned adding a small amount of ATF to the lube to prevent foaming on overly filled cases. (?????)
    I've seen a whole lot more than that. Ever notice a SWB Jeep with a rear 9"? As long as they have oil, it's not a problem.

Do you know Rob Kosinski? I think he's in that club.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    My CJ is SOA on 1.5" lift YJ springs (about 7" of lift). I'm running a custom CV rear shaft that uses a Ford style CV, 3" x .120" wall DOM tube, and a slip with a 1.5" spline. The rear needs to be rotated that far to keep the pinion about 2 degrees below parallel with the driveshaft.

I'm running a T-18 trans with a Dana 300 T-case, the rear shaft is about 27" running length.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

Club

Of course I know Rob. He lives about a half mile from me. Real nice guy. Has a lot of experience in comp wheeling. He is one of the main guys in the club and he always helps new guys. I have been wheeling since I got my first Jeep in 1971. It was a CJ 2A and I was 13. My dad bought it and we kept in on a farm in NY. I've been wheeling ever since. I am not a devoted rock climber like the new breed of wheelers, I prefer to trail ride and could care less about scaling verticals.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Rear driveshaft angle

Bob: I guess when I finally measure it mine will be angled very steep also. I am running a Clark 285V 5 speed which is very long and heavy, also a Dana 300. My final driveshaft length will be around 17 inches. I am going to use a Tom Wood's 1 Ton CV style. From what I hear this shaft set-up is bullet proof if there is such a thing in 4 wheeling. Again I am not a Balls to the wall driver either and will shy away from 4 wheel drive burnouts on pavement so I tend to be easy on the gas pedal.

Re: Club

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEYJOE
    Of course I know Rob. He lives about a half mile from me. Real nice guy. Has a lot of experience in comp wheeling. He is one of the main guys in the club and he always helps new guys. I have been wheeling since I got my first Jeep in 1971. It was a CJ 2A and I was 13. My dad bought it and we kept in on a farm in NY. I've been wheeling ever since. I am not a devoted rock climber like the new breed of wheelers, I prefer to trail ride and could care less about scaling verticals.
    That's funny. I'm also friends with Rockin Rob K and the lime green lightweight TJ. We wheel at Big Dogs and Rausch Creek when time allows. He's a helluva nice guy and can wheel the poop out of that truck.

And yes, we're the guys who go out and do stupid big climbs.

Big Climbs

I have nothing against them . I am a little too old for that much fun. I enjoy trail riding and once in a while a little adventure.