Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AMC 20 Hypoid angle/distance

Thread: AMC 20 Hypoid angle/distance

AMC 20 Hypoid angle/distance

Does anyone know the hypoid distance for an AMC 20? (Distance between the centerline of the pinion and the centerline of the ring gear.)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Pinion depth? I've got a list with my depth tool. I'll dig it out this evening.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

NOT pinion depth.

If you draw a line through the center of the pinion gear, then draw a line through the center of the ring gear, what is the distance between the lines.

You know that the pinion is not centered in the ring gear. It is offset from the center of the differential. That is why the gear looks like a spiral rather than a straight cut gear. The question I am asking is, how much is that offset?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I dont know that figure Dwight. I think one would have to establish the rear end with the gasket mounting area verticle and start to indicate from there. What could this info be helpfull for Mr. mad scientist
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Mad scientist says, "If the hypoid distance is the 1.5", then 12 bolt Chevy internals will fit with some not-too-difficult mods."

Excuse that the picture is a 9" Ford third member, but the hypoid distance is the 2.25" measurement shown.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Having seen a 12 bolt 3.42 pinion sitting next to an AMC 3.54, the AMC 3.54 pinion has a MUCH larger head. That would mean the pinion is offset more in the housing. That would mean having to space a 12 bolt ring gear over to get a good pattern, and make it weaker, even if the other measurement is the same.

I see where you're going, there's a much bigger ratio selection for the 12 bolt, but you could keep your car/truck stock looking.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford