Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Newbie help low warm oil pressure 360 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie help low warm oil pressure 360

A good place to start is the AMC Technical Service Manual. Heres a few pages from a 1973 TSM thats online and should get you familar with things and give some ideas of what to do.Go to pages 1B-15 and 1B-16 and it will tell you about rebuilding the pump.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/AMC/197...1b/browser.htm

The specs for the pump are on page 1B-23

Thanks JD!!!

One more stupid question..After replacing gears and installing midplate it will need to be primed too..Might be getting in over my head..read some posts that after changing had lower pressure..I would love to do this, just worried I will make it worse.
    Thanks again!!

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    You should definitely pack the pump, use vasoline... and pack it solid... you can then fire it up OR you can remove the distributor and use a priming tool...

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You really dont want to use and vaseline. You shoudl use the same weight oil you are going to run in your engine and just lightly coat the gears will be more than plenty. Years ago Melling (which supplies all AMC oil pumps) had a little sheet of paper that said pack the pump with petrolium jelly. They now say soak the gears in clear oil. The reason being that petrolium jelly will clog you oil filter until it reaches 100 degrees and activate your oil filter bypass. The old vaseline prime works but can cause instant bearing damage.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    No $h!t.??? I didn't know that... I must be lucky ... So far I haven't had any issues... but then again... after I pack the oil pump I normally prime the motor with my electric drill... The bypass will open when the pressure reaches what... 60-70psi??? depending on the spring pressure... sound about right?