Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TH400 to Atlas II Transfer Case

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by arhame
    How drastic of a design change is it between the NV146 and the BW1339?
    Internals are electric motor operated clutches, and even a narrow width chain. It won't bolt up to a TH400 however...

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    My CJ7 has the 401, TH400, and Dana 300.

Had to move the crossmember back a few inches, used an AA adapter for the TH400 to D300. I have a Lokar shifter now, but did have a B&M ratchet style shifter. Both work good without any cutting in the tranny cover. The D300 shifter is a different matter. Had to cut into the tub about two inches. I have a Currie twin stick. I believe it could be fabbed to reach a little farther forward. Currie would not do it for me.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

In my opinion, I would go with the Altas case. For the money of rebuilding, upgrading (4 to 1 kit), clocking ring, adapter to t400, it would be close to the same cost to install an Atlas case. You'll still have to modify the crossmember, driveshafts, linkage either way you go.
    Before you make your final decision, call Advance Adapter and see what they have to offer and get a price.
    This way you'll have a new TC instead or a rebuild.

FYI, most newer adapter are made to clock your transfer case in several different degrees, so an extra clocking ring shouldn't be necessary.
    If you go with a D300, don't use the 1980 version, it has less options then the 81 - 86 D300 (different rear tail housing).

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Also look at www . stak4x4. com they have a wide selection of T cases and dont use syncros like Atlas does. Just my 2 cents.