Thread: Brake problem

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

Brake problem

Well i know this is not engine related, but there is a good knowledge base here im hoping can help me out.

Ok so i decided that i was going to put power brakes from a YJ into my 74 CJ5. So i got a booster and MC out of a junkyard. I got a new master cylinder and hooked everything up and they worked great. I then found out that i needed new pads and shoes, so i replaced the rear wheel cylinders when i found a bad one, and and found a bad front caliper when i got there. Once i replaced the caliper i have not been able to get a good pedal. I found out that the new MC that i got was bad so i replaced that again as well. So i got everything all back together yesterday and it is just as it was before. I can lock up the rear wheels so i have back brakes, but i get little to nothing in the front. I have been messing with this thing for a while now and im getting fed up with it. Anyone have any insight on what i should look for next on how to fix this thing? proportioning valve issue?

Make sure you have the calipers on the correct side, with the bleeders on top. If the bleeders are not on top, you will never get all the air out.

Quote Originally Posted by dwg86
    Make sure you have the calipers on the correct side, with the bleeders on top. If the bleeders are not on top, you will never get all the air out.
    After I upgraded to discs on the front of my CJ, I had to take the calipers off and tilt the bleeder straight up so I could get all the air out. I tried for a week to get all the air out before I did that.
    74 CJ5, 360w/T-18/D20, Scout D44's Locked front & rear w 5.38's, 36" Swampers & a ton of work...

It's a Jeep thing, Chrysler doesn't understand!