Thread: Few questions

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

Few questions

Alright, well i got my bulltear oil pump and have been tearing into my CJ to replace it. Go figure i find more problems than i really want along the way. The biggest was finding a timing chain that is all sloppy, got a new one ready to go in. Now im getting ready to reassemble everything tomorrow.

Guess what i want to know is, when putting this stuff on, any tips or tricks i should do along the way so i dont have any leaks or other problems down the road? Also there is a groove worn in the vibration dampener. seems to be about .002 deep, that anything to worry about? Can it be cleaned up with some emery cloth?

Thanks in advance and thanks to bulltear for their help so far.

-Pat

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Well... what timeing chain did you get? Single roller, double roller, or stock?
    You should have gotten new gears with the chain. If not - send it back and get new gears with it. That will make a WORLD of difference. I installed mine straight up (double roller from Mad Dog Racing).

Make sure the oil pump area is clean and to spec - there ARE tolerances involved with the pump. Don’t mess with those or you won’t get the pressure you need. STD gaskets and some good Indian Head sealer should be all you need.

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    got the edelbrock double roller set, it is what i had before so i got it again. Got it all back together and so far i seem to have good cold pressure. There are still some things that need buttoned up before i get to drive it around again.

I had been down to about 5-10 psi at idle and 20 psi max at any temp, and was told the low pressure can cause the cain to wear out.