Bulltear Ad

Thread: 304 fuel supply to cylinders

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

304 fuel supply to cylinders

Hope someone can help. I'm a little bit mechanical but this is above me. First a little background. Last summer, when running my jeep the fuel filter would plug with rust from the tank. So this spring I replaced the tank and sending unit. I start it up and it seems to be running rough so I do a little trouble shooting. Four of my cylinders, when I pull the plug wires make no difference to the running of the engine. The cylinders are 1,4,6 and 7. Two on each side and every other cylinder in the firing order. It has an edelbrock 4 barrel carb. When I mess with the jet on the drivers side of the card it makes no difference to the running of the engine unlike the one on the passenger side. Its a 304 and I hope I've given enough info.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Welcome to Bulltear!

Which manifold are you running? A manifold like the performer has a split plenum, with each side of the carb feeding every other cylinder in the firing order. Sounds like some of the rust got thru the filter and plugged up the jet on one side. You can pull the top of the carb off without removing it from the manifold by removing the screws and linkage. If you're careful and don't break the gasket, you can even re-use that. Look inside and see if there's rust in the bowls. If there is, it's probably time to remove the carb for a thorough cleaning.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks for the info. I did remove the jet screws and blew air into the carb. After that the engine ran much better. But after a while it started acting up again. I think its just a matter of continuing to clean the carb like you said. I'm sure with so much rust some of it got through.