Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
5x10 Gantry Build - Page 4
Bulltear Ad
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x10 Gantry Build

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    Ok. So I just reloaded all the software on to a different computer and recieved the EXACT same results. What next?

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    have you tried cutting with the THC off? to see if it still doesnt work, try that, I dont even use the thc on thick stuff or things that arent very big, if the cut is X amount of seconds I just dont see it reacting fast enough pierce start the volts are all over the place, cut a 1" circle in thin stuff at 300 ipm its not even 1/10th of s second cut time.

perhaps one of your cut profiles has one of the faults set to cause it not to start, If I remember right when I first started up and dry ran my table without the plasma on, I had to hit start twice to get it to move, and then start again on every pierce because it didnt have a single, now dunno what I changed but I can dry run without it, prolly cuz the THC is always off.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    also I had to get the box to run my ground cable through for my powermax65, I think If I remember right I wasnt getting volts feedback or an arc ok signal I cant remember.

Ok with THC off, it will cut a par, but I get no ARC OK, no TORCH VOLTS DRO, and no TORCH AMPS DRO.

Yes I do have the box to run the ground cable through.

It will dry run without the plasma on.

Well it cuts a part, still no DTHC online LED. I have contacted Tom@CandCNC zone to see what he thinks.

Name:  106_1648.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  92.1 KB

I still am not satisfied untill the machine passes every test in the manual and I get all the lights and DROs working in the THC....Its a good thing I love to troubleshoot.

Hats off to the Tom at CandCNC. He responded quickly on Sunday afternoon with tips and suggestions. I after checking and performing test Tom recommend I think we pin pointed it to the DTHCII card or UBOBIII Card. Below is the email conversations we had for anyone else who runs in to this. (Toms response is red)
    -------------------------------

Hello Tom,

I have a plasma gantry kit purchased from Bulltear Indusries running the ESP II, Bladerunner G250-5 electronics, using Mach3 version 3.042.029, with a the DTHC II card pre- installed.

The DTHC is using a RAV-01 (rev 1) , with a THC sensor PWM box (mod A), and a DCP-01B current probe on a Thermal Dynamics 81.

My problem is I cant get Mach3 to see that the DTHC is online. All the power lights are lit on the DTHC card and PWM.

-When I put the DTHC in test mode it does not follow the sequence describe in the manual of TIPS VOLTS DRO set to 100 and UP flashes 5 times, then TIPS VOLTS DRO set to 150 and down flashes three times. Instead I get ARC OK and UP will flash together for a series of 3, then ARC OK and DOWN will flash for a series of three and repeat.

-I can turn the THC on....it flashes green when I do.
    -I can manually turn the plasma torch on
    -I loaded a job and ran a part and the machine starts, then pauses and waits for voltage/arc ok signals I assume

This is what I have tried.

-Checked serial/parallel connections.
    -Re-installed serial/parallel drivers
    -tried different serial, parallel, and CAT 5 cables
    -re-installed the software and drivers for Mach and Bladerunner.
    -I am using the correct PC components.
    -Tried a different PC of mine and recieved the same results.

Here is a forum in which I have been trouble shooting with Bulltear. >http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showt...0-Gantry-Build

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toms Response:

No DTHC ONLINE LED has one cause......The DTHC is not talking to MACH through the COM port (Serial). You have to confirm you have a working COM port in the Windows Device Manager. If you have more than one or a serial device (like a modem) is using that port than the DTHC cannot use it. Once you determine that you have a COM port that show up in the Device manager then you need to match the COM port number in the Config/config plug-ins/ccc_comm (CONFIG). You also have to have the Correct hardware selected so you have the UBOB-THC checked.

The DTHC uses the serial port to display the screen values (TORCH VOLTS and TORCH AMPS). The DTHC will function and uses the values we loaded during testing but you cannot change the settings without the Serial being active.

The other signals flashing shows the high speed (parallel port) inputs are setup and working.

Fi you have more than one COM port showing up try each one in the ccc_comm CONFIG.

The serial cable we use is not a "serial" cable. It is a 9 pin "Extension" (all pins straight through)

If you are using WIN7 you are facing a long road. We do not support it running MACH and our hardware because of PC problems we cannot troubleshoot.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom,

Thanks for the quick response, I apprecaite it.

Yes I know the DTHC ONLINE LED is the issue, the reason I am writing you.

In the Device Manger/ Ports, I have COM1 and LPT1

I have no other devices using the COM port...modem ect...

Windows says it is working properly, I even re-isntalled the ports.

I have the port settings set per the manual.

I have configured it in the Config/config plug-ins/ccc_comm (CONFIG) to my COM1

UBOB THC is checked

I am using your factory cables. I have beeped them out with a multi-meter. I have tried my straight through DB9 cable too

I am not using Windows 7...I am using XP professional, service pak 3.

I can make the system cut parts, so I have full functionality in that regard, but no DTHC

Any more input?

Thanks,

Troy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Toms Response

If this is an add-in Serial card then see if there are any later drivers available. Also check the PC BIOS (entered on bootup of the PC) to make sure there is not a MB serial port defined if you have an expansion card. Some MB's have a serial port but it may not show on the rear of the unit. We have also had several PC's that had no-working serial ports. Windows cannot test the port for proper function. All it does is go look for the ROM data at the address and see if it is there.

There are some serial test programs on the internet but you need a loopback plug. It will setup and send and rec to itself..

You might also get a USB to serial (get one with the FTDI chip) and set it up. It will add in another COM port number that you can switch to and try.

The spec on serial calls for a full 5 volt swing on the signal.

If you can confirm activity on the serial port from the PC (pins 2 & 3 are TX and RX and 5 is GND) .then the problem has to be in either the serial port on the UBOB or the Plug-in (ccc_comm) is not running right on that PC. A breakout tester is handy but a logic probe can see the pulses from the PC TX (going to UBOB input) on the ESPII box) If you have TX FROM the PC then the port is at least sending data. Then the UBOB talks back in response if it sees the right data.

Usually the COM port is not that hard to get working. We automatically set the parameters (Baud rate, stop bits, etc) to the PC through the plug-in and they normally just work.

We buy and sell refurbed PC's (mostly Dell GX280's and GX620's) We have had probelms with GX5## serial although not serial ports normally.

About the only components in our electronics that are involved in the serial port is the UBOBIII card and the DTHCII module. The serial is shared with the info from the front panel (shows up on the MACH Screen in the lower righthand corner. When the DC is off just the temp shows.

If it looks like the UBOB III it can be swapped in about 10 min in the box. We can cross ship another unit if you fill out an RMA (on our website) and provide us with a tracking number. Another option is to return the UBOB and DTHCII module for testing and repair but let me state that I think the problem is at the PC level.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom,

Its a MB mounted serial port, no expansion card, we checked in the Bios and everything appers fine.

I performed a loop back test jumping pins 2 and 3 while using Hyperterimal and it was succesfull. I also downloaded another loopback test prorgam, which also was successful.

Everything leads me to beleive the problem is with the UBOBIII or DTHCII module. Especially since I have tried a completely different PC and recieve the same results. Do you feel otherwise now?

I will be in touch with Bulltear to decide the next step, and will get back to you.

I appreciate your help...especially on a Sunday.

Thanks again,

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The Z will give you issue if the lower bearing is frozen. Turn off the control box and see if you can manually turn the Z axis screw. The only other time it does this is when you have a port conflict.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

It is possible that a hardware issue is present. You cannot rule out anything.
    [COLOR=#000000]

I can manually turn the Z pretty easily.

What is your take on the other issues with the DTHC?

Sounds like a hardware issue if the ports are working correctly. CandCNC will set you up with a RMA for that. That Z axis sound is and stalling looks like you havent set your steps per correctly. PM sent
    [COLOR=#000000]