Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Cummings or DuraMax - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cummings or DuraMax

Never an easy choice is there.......

Had to take the truck back this morning, but I'm 99% sold on a diesel. Massive power
    Respectable Mileage
    Minimal Upkeep - might be pricy, but at least its few and far between

So far what I'm hearing is there's nothing BAD about any engines.... as in nothing to absoutly stay away from. It rather comes downt to creature comfort and the "other" features.

So here are my thoughts on the "other stuff"
    Dodge has Solid axle Front with coil springs = more articulation, softer ride perhaps?
    Chevy's Front is Torsion - minimal front wheel travel - from ride to compression.
    Ford.... I dont have a clue.

Interriors:
    Chevy - VERY NICE - really like
    Dodge - eh.... more truck like... not as much creature comfort
    Ford......

Rear End:
    All are leaf springs
    the Dodge power wagon with Bilstein Shocks
    Chevy Z71 has bilstein
    Ford :-p

Going out to look at Ford's this weekend. And hopefully to drive a Cummins

But so far nothing BAD to stay away from - if I'm reading these responses correctly.
    Out to prove that AMC is still one of the best around!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Overkill - you came to pretty much the same assumptions I did when I started looking. I let my wife talk me into the Hemi because she didn't want to look around for a diesel fuel stopp (it wasn't convienient to the house).

I was leaning towards the Cummins based on aftermarket parts support and availability of service centers. I still have a Dodge - so what's wrong with "Truck like?" And they have Allison tranny's.

Take note too ... "With the latest Ford Power Stroke and even the Cummins chasing the same problems, the result was that our data-logged dBA meter now indicts the Duramax as the noisiest of the trio under every circumstance we probed." read more of the Road Test. Another reason Gigi didn't want a diesel.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I have the Ford with the 7.3. Its 2wd. I have not had any problems with it. If I did not buy the ford I would have got the Dodge. The chevy is to car like for me. You really can't go wrong with any of the diesel's. Just pick the one you like best. And get ready to get guff from people that own the other make's

Just got my new Dodge on Saturday.

So far, I think its great. I find the Dodge more "truck" than what my chevy was.

So, not exaclty a power user, but one vote for the cummins here.

(still can't belive its an inline 6, all that power out of a 6?.......crazy)
    AHHHH Crap, what did I break this time?

Mudslingerz.com

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    CJ Shark........nice!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Shark
    (still can't belive its an inline 6, all that power out of a 6?.......crazy)
    Wait till you stuff the Banks and Power Chip goodies in there

You know you will - Modification is in our blood!!!

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I will not be modifiying the truck at all, I'm leaving it stock.

(shoulder check, yup wife left)

ok maybe a "few" mods
    AHHHH Crap, what did I break this time?

Mudslingerz.com

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Shark
    I will not be modifiying the truck at all, I'm leaving it stock.

(shoulder check, yup wife left)

ok maybe a "few" mods
    Start with the air breather - and go BIG cause the Banks stuff likes big air And, why redo what your going to do later?? The Chip will really get-ya-going but to get going good, ya need AIR!!!

Mudrat =D>
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I think as far as engines go they're all about the same. Over here you get the dodge with the cummins for about $8000 less than a comparable chevy with a duramax.

The allison's a big name transmission, but it was modified to drive nicely for chevy, you're not getting a 2 ton auto. Seems all the autos are now lasting a really long time, they're not just for 100K anymore. I'd get a stick anyway.

Why go with Banks? There's better/cheaper stuff out there. Any way you go, the right way is to do intake and exhaust mods, pyrometer, then a chip. Chip will get you the big power gains, but hurt things if you don't have the airflow capacities for it. The cummins computer knows if a chip was in there, so if you double the power and blow the motor or such, don't expect warranty to cover it.
    81 CJ8 on fullwidths with TBI 360 and some other stuff.

Texas A&M Off-Road