Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Finally Upgraded to a CV shaft today.

Thread: Finally Upgraded to a CV shaft today.

Finally Upgraded to a CV shaft today.

Hey guys, not that any of you know me, but I've been lurking for a while, I've joined a few "groups" and finally decided to post a little bit.

Since I have not made a proper introduction for myself here is what I posted in the Mud Heads group a few weeks ago:

Hey guys, (gals).

I check in quite often, and just now figured out how to join these groups. hehe.

I'll tell a little about myself and my Jeep.

I'm 22, a senior at Kettering University in Flint, MI where I'm studying Mechanical Engineering. I've got a '80 CJ-7 with a few necessary mods that change about every weekend when I go home from school.
    Right now I have a 360, stock bottom end aside from new main bearings. Have a cheapo Cam from ebay, Air Gap intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, cheapo out-of-frame headers and stock ignition.

As Mudrat alluded to, I have a 999? tranny with a new converter and pump from PTC ot of Alabama. It's a mild converter ~2200 stall. I've been through that tranny, just replacing seals and a simple shift kit. (It's held up well for a full year, plan to really build it when it blows)

D-300 t-case, plan to put a seal kit and inspect the internals in the next few weeks. ( now finished)

I've now nearly finished my SOA project. After stripping the ring gear off the stock front diff last year, I upgraded to a Waggy D44 in the front, and a Ford 9" in the rear from an early Bronco. (They were both free)
    The rear has a stock Trac-Loc (for now), and the front has a limited slip that I bought from a friend. Oh, and 4.56 gears.

The frame has been chopped off in the back and replaced with square tubing that just happened to slide right over the stock sections. (she was rusty) I'ts been that way for 2 years, and held up well so I have a little more faith in my fabrication abilities. The front has had the springs outboarded, and braced accordingly.

I *just* got it all back together for the Memorial day weekend that I spent at Silver Lake sand dunes near Ludington, MI. All I've got for tires now is a set of 35" BFG All terrains (good in sand, mud is not something that I'm too capable in right now) but I'll change that as soon as I come up with some cash to buy another set of wheels and tires. (ugh)

I guess It's getting long, so, I'll move along. Thanks for all the help that I've gleaned off ths site for a while.

I'll try to provide some input here and there where I have somethig to say.

Thanks,
    Anyway, I just got finished replacing the output bearing in the t-case, and getting a CV shaft on the thing. I got the shaft from an early Bronco that I got for free. I brought it to a local shop (D&R Driveline in Hudsonville, MI) and had them rebuild/ shorten it, and sell me the proper yoke for the D-300. All I can say is, what a difference. I didn't realize how much vibration that the single cardan shaft was making. I feel like I could go 150 now. Honestly it's that much better. I was floored by how much nicer it is to drive.

I'm running at about 18 degrees of shaft angle at ride height right now, and it feels like a new car.

I know, it's not a 1350 or 1410 or anything like that, but I hardly ever get into low range, so I don't see ripping anything apart any time too soon.

Anyway, I know it's getting long so I'll wrap it up. I just thought that I'd share and maybe persuade y'all to upgrade.

Thanks,

Phill Merrill
    Heep CJ-7, 360, SOA, D44, Ford 9", Rust, Primer, faded paint. Blah Blah Blah.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Hey Phil... Isnt it nice to get rid of those vibes
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Sometimes the chick in the passenger seat likes it though....