Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
304 is it worth it?

Thread: 304 is it worth it?

304 is it worth it?

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and to the amc motors as well. I hope this subject has not been beaten to death, if it has, sorry in advance. Anyway my question is about a jeep 304. The motor is lacking power and in need of a rebuild, most people I've talked to say the 304 not a good motor (bad oiling,rings,heads,low compression and expensive) I understand some of this can be dealt with. Is it worth the time and money ? Would a 360 or even , hate say it, a small block chevy be better? I'm not trying to start trouble just need advice from people with experience in amc's Thanks again

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Hell Yeah!!! 304 has it's drawback - just like the Chebby 307
    But nothing that can't be 'better engineered'

What are you trying to build, stock, low end, hi'r end, rocks, mud or a DD? All that depends on the way ahead for the rebuild.

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

It's going to be fro a little of everything, from rocks to snowbashing and daily driving, maybe 50/50. I would like it to have good power but also reliable. I was hoping to get 250-300 horse out of it, if possible? It is going into a cj-7 with a t18 and 4.10's. How do you solve the oiling problems and what are they? Thanks

don't do the chebby thing. keep it AMC rebuild the 304 and go to the engine thread for lots of help. i think mudrat and fuzz401 can help you out.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

Get a 360 there typically cheap and plentyful.
    Great torque for trail riding.
    I would do that befor doing the 304.
    James Belcher, Jr.
    Carolina Trailblazers PR Man
    86 CJ 7 401 TF 999 D300
    81 CJ 7 360 T 176 D300
    85 J20 401 727
    To many others to list

After hhaving been down this route before - it sounds like a strict budget is mind as was in my case, so I say pick up a low milage 360 as you can afford and have a hoot rompin' on it!!

A 360 would be great to have, is the torque that much more with a 360? Are there still the same basic drawbacks to a 360 (oiling issues)? I am on a little bit of a budget but have some time before I hope to have it done. If I understand it correctly the 360 is balanced different than a 304 and that most parts are interchangable between them? I'm not sure if I will stay with the manual tranny or go to a automatic. A friend has a 727 for a AMC he said I could have, but it needs rebuilt also. Thanks