Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Painting a block
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Painting a block

Painting a block

just a cosmetic question here...

I'm getting ready to swap a 401 into my CJ7. I have a 304 right now.. the 401 I bought has been rebuilt and is ready to go, but it's ugly!

I thought about cleaning the block with some degreaser and a wire brush, and then painting over the current yellow paint with a nice AMC blue..

but since the engine is already assembled, is wire brushing and painting a bad idea?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Degrease it well and remove any loose paint, you should be good. Just lay a bit of duct tape over the intake and exhaust ports and any bolt holes you plan to use. Try to keep any paint from getting inside, some paints have microscopic metallic pigments that I wouldn't want floating around inside.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Good to hear.. thanks for the reply. In thinking about this more, it doesn't seem like as big of a deal as I thought.. I assume engines were painted assembled at the factory. Also, I'll probably run a tap through any bolt holes that get clogged.

again, thanks for the info.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Brake cleaner works great for de-greasing but its high flammable so take heed.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

(I just noticed this forum is for 'hard core' engine tech. Feel free to move this thread to somewhere more apropriate.)

I do have a couple additional questions .. I'm pulling the 304 this weekend and have a typical crane style engine hoist and a HF load leveler. What's the best way to hook up the the engine to pull it out?

I had planned on bolting some lengths of chain to the block with grade 8 bolts and washers, but I'm not sure of the best places to attach.

Also, I'm utilizing the same clutch and transmission. I'm thinking I should unbolt the bellhousing from the block, and take the block, flywheel, and clutch all together.. As far as the clutch goes.. do I need to note the alignment of clutch components and line them back up in relation to each other? I have an LS6 clutch alignment tool that I was going to try to use for reassembly (???) .... I'm guessing there's no way to swap the the whole clutch package to the new engine and flywheel without reassembly. (???)

Any tips? Thanks again for the help...

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    With a load leveler, I usually get some 1/2" longer grade 8 bolts, and use the 4 corner intake manifold bolts. You may need to grind the corners of the brackets on the leveler to fit. You could also use the exhaust manifold bolts if the chains are long enough.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford