Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
7th cylinder connecting rod in PIECES....
Bulltear Ad

Thread: 7th cylinder connecting rod in PIECES....

Threaded View

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I always add ZDDP for the first couple of oil changes then just quality oil and filter. ZDDP additive wouldn't have caused any failure like you had. I like NAPA Gold or WIX filters, I wouldn't put a Fram filter on any of my engines. I hadn't thought about a dropped valve, but it could be, so you'll want to pull a valve cover. I still think, based on the bent rod cap, that a rod bolt failed or came loose. If you're lucky an additional turn of the rod journals, new bearings, and a new rod should put you back on the road.

The 7-8 rod is the one that fails most in an AMC engine, since it receives oil last and gets the least. Did you add the lifter valley oil mod? If you did, check that you didn't screw the fitting in too deep and block the oil passage. If you completely disassemble the engine, which I would recommend, look into the cam bearings that Bulltear sells that reduce oil to the cam journals. They still get enough oil, but it increases oil to the last main/rod.

Bob
    tufcj
    Last edited by tufcj; 06-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford